Carrying firearms in a truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by GasHauler, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Iraqvet

Iraqvet Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Ashtabula Ohio

TC makes a great smoke pole...I have an Omega...There is still a difference between bein in a pick up and a cmv when it comes carrying weapons from state to state..I am sure the reaction from a trooper would probably be different if you were in a rig,and had a nice 870(best shotgun ever made) sittin on the passenger seat..

3. Disturbed

Disturbed Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Take this reply for what it is worth - I've been a police officer for 15 years in Indiana, so my specific knowledge of firearms laws relates specifically to this state. An interesting read on firearms laws, including federal laws relating to interstate transportation of firearms can be found here:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

From the perspective of a street cop, I couldn't care less if a law-abiding citizen is carrying a firearm, as long as they aren't doing anything shady with it (pointing it at me being the shadiest thing I can think of, off-hand :biggrin_2559:). Attitude goes a very long way with me and most cops I know. Treat me like a moron, and I return the favor. That being said, there are cops out there who would write their own mothers.

There are states out there that have out of state carry permits. Most states have some form of reciprocity with the other states. If you have a permit in your home state and get an out-of-state permit from one or more other states, the amount of states you have reciprocity with will go up. That won't help you in states that have effectually no permit to carry (CA comes to mind), but it will help you in a surprising number of them. A friend and I tried to figure out the number of states we could have reciprical carry in, and we managed to get over 40, with the right combo.

There is no federal statute prohibiting carry in a CMV. Does any of this help you if you get caught in one of the "bad" states? Not a bit. I believe fervently that all law-abiding citizens should carry a weapon. We can't be there every time something bad happens, and that should not infringe on someone's right to defend themselves. That is my opinion, and we all know what those are worth.

Bottom line though, if you are smart, and if you aren't carrying dope, bodies, or stolen cars across the country, LE is not going to have the right, or over-all the motivation to dig through a truck looking for a potential gun.

4. newtruckerinohio

newtruckerinohio Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Springfield Ohio
  5. Donnyh

Donnyh Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2009
    this is what i carry and have heard that it is extremely effective..:biggrin_2554:

6. Disturbed

Disturbed Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2010
    True to a degree. Antique firearms are not regulated by FEDERAL statute. They will land you in exactly the same trick bag as modern firearms in your state court, unless the state in question has a pre-1899 firearms exemption statute.

7. Nick352

Nick352 Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Neosho, Mo.
    Also take a close look at the "Wasp Spray". This can also land you in some trouble. Poisons qualify as Chemical agents. With the use of "Pepper Spray" and "Mace", statutes were developed to form some control points.

When used in an improper manner, ADW and Assault with a Chemical agent can be knocking on your door.

Be careful, and use common sense.

Donnyh, SheepDog and pinballwizard Thank this.
  8. badsey

badsey Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    DOT inspectors know all about the "wasp spray." =Expect to get some flack from DOT about that, but I had to protect my truck from those dangerous bees/wasps even in the winter.

With the antique guns thing I am bending the laws as much as I can, plus with a blantant open-carry it can really piss people off when you tell them it's not a "gun" -but you are correct that you only have the right to carry "firearms" = you may not have the right to not to carry firearms.

As long as you don't have a receiver it's also not considered a gun. =carry a gun barrel with you are all times I like to say.

9. pinballwizard

pinballwizard Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2010
    s.w.georgia
    wow....all the info in here and I was thinking on just carrying a claw hammer

10. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    I saw a long handled hatchet/hammer/pry bar chrome plated lookin thingy for sale at the Petro for $27 :shock:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.