Carrying While Trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by farmerjohn64, Sep 22, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Thats just it. Does that mean I should care either?

Im not your opponet. But there are states out here in the west and south where we don't worry about all that.

I remember my first time into Mass. All those signs size of a barn for half a mile. essentially no guns. We really mean no guns. Seriously really really mean it no guns.

Welcome to mass. HA.

Take away guns you have knives. Take away knives you have bats or cobble stone. Take that away you still have Brutus. Animals have fang and claw. We don't so we have to be smart about what to use for proper self defense.

Im finished here for this thread. Anything further takes me towards a subject that is not really productive.

Gumboslef9384 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gumboslef9384

Gumboslef9384 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2019
    TX
    Yea that place is crazy. I hated parking in the NE because truck drivers have to follow laws so its open season for criminals. They rest of USA is fine though. Not sure what their logic is in banning guns. Its not like criminals obey the law anyway

4. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Oh no, I'd probably wear it inside my waistband with a holster lol

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There are many state that even with a carry permit, you are required to let a LEO know that you are armed if you get pulled over. And, of course, when travel through other states it is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with their carry rules. For that I go to Handgunlaw.us

farmerjohn64, Dennixx and TripleSix Thank this.
  6. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    A million miler driver friend of mine used to carry in his truck, but not on his person. He was an ex-beret and a little old school. He had been dispatched to do a pickup at Hill AFB in Layton, UT. When he got to the gate, the guards asked him if he had any weapons, he told them the truth, and was denied admittance. He asked the guards if he could check the weapon with them, but they are not allowed to hold it. He ended up leaving the base and finding a discreet hiding place
    in some bushes somewhere nearby. He then returned to the base and was admitted after they swept the truck.
    On a later occasion he was again dispatched to the same base... This time he knew what to expect and he decided to carefully hide the weapon somewhere inside his reefer housing, where the smell of the diesel, and soot would mask the scent of gunpowder from the dogs.
    He got in without them finding anything, and shortly after, he decided to just keep his firearms at home when on the road...

farmerjohn64 Thanks this.
  7. skytrash

skytrash Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    denton , tx
    there's an app for that called legal heat, very handy to have

Snow Hater and farmerjohn64 Thank this.
  8. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Help me understand how you would be sitting in jail if you werent the aggressor in the minds of the law?

9. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Trucker severely beaten at Fort Hall truck stop
    A good reason to carry?
    The victim seems to think so now.
    This happened in a rural community, so of course it got people's attention, but this sort of stuff and worse happens all the time from coast to coast.
    I kept a handgun in my company truck where I could get to it quick when I ran OTR...Thank God I never needed it!

10. Snow Hater

Snow Hater Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2019

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yes in this case you had a form of castle doctrine breach with the bad guy inside your cab and sleeping space which is usually considered a house.

Since bad guy demands money, it's a robbery. Plus a credible threat and ability.

So all three criteria is matched to draw and open fire defensively. Continue until threat is stopped or running away.

Snow Hater and snowlauncher Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.