Cascadia Fuel Return Shutoff

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Pizzle, May 29, 2016.

1. Pizzle

Pizzle Bobtail Member

May 29, 2016
    I'd try that but I can't get at the lines my self. It's leaking somewhere between the shut off valve and the engine (I think.. not an expert so just my speculation) and I don't know exactly which line it is

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Figures about the Star, no offense intended, but they were just a little different when we had those 2005s. Long tanks with a narrower profile holding an odd amount of fuel(143 gallons capacity per side IIRC)

To the original poster, you should be able to close the leaking one off and run from the other tank until you get the line fixed, but if you run off the passenger side and leave the driver's side, your fuel gauge probably won't work, I know this from filling one side at a time, fuel in the passenger side didn't register correctly on the gauge until the tanks equalized.

I'd get it fixed as soon as possible, in any case. You need to look at the plumbing underneath to know for sure what is going where, which, if you found the leak, you probably already have,

4. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled

If it's leaking before the valves, you won't be able to fix unless you disconnect the leaking line somehow and cap where it hooks up, or block it like cnsper said.

5. Pizzle

Pizzle Bobtail Member

May 29, 2016
    Well I would pull the lines apart and check em separately but who ever worked on this truck last kind of braided the lines together and ran duct tape all the way up to the valves holding the lines together skipping an inch here or there, that's why I can't tell for sure which line, just know its one of them. But to block em I'd have to clamp both lines and wouldn't that risk damage to the engine or would it just destroy my fuel economy?

6. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Honestly, I have had the truck I drive for almost 4 years, and never had any of that stuff worked on, not to say it's perfect, but something somewhere along the line made a leak for you.

I drive a 2013 built in June of 2012. Had a DEF leak detected by the shop once, but I never figured it out and it never got fixed that I know of, and I have never seen so much as a drip. It's got between 10 and 11 thousand hours on the engine with around 40% idle, and it gets the job done, despite having check engine lights and dealer shops not wanting to fix it. Just had the DOC filters done, whatever the heck that means, but they burned them out, and didn't have to replace them.

For your truck, If it's coming back from the engine side of the valves, you need to get it fixed correctly, in my opinion.

Whatever it takes.

7. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    After the fuel valves on top of the transmission there is just a single return and supply line running to the engine. If your problem is in one of those lines than turning off a single tank isn't going to fix anything.

[​IMG]

8. georgegreen80

georgegreen80 Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2021
    I have a 2016 freightliner cascadia and whenever I step on the brakes whether the truck is on or not I can hear air leaking and it's coming from this VALVE ATC, 3/2 SOLENOID - 12V. I change the valve ans the new one leak, I change bout brake chamber on the steer, valve still leaks. That valve is part of the abs system. Any advice?

9. Alex2019

Alex2019 Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2022
    Kansas city
    My 2019 frightliner doesn't have the shut off valve I'm having issue with fuel level all fuel coming into driver side when I'm driving and make air pressure in the fuel tank I don't have crossover line either change the vent valve it doesn't work either take it to the mechanic shop he have no idea what's the exact problem any idea please

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.