cat 3406b hard starting

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by tj379, Nov 26, 2019.

1. tj379

tj379 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2019
    ontario
    hi , iv got a 1988 7fb 425 hp 3406b cat, this thing has always only needed a crack of the fuel petal and 1 revolution to fire up , in any weather hot or cold, if i cold started it it would light snd barly chug til it warmed up and sat steady at 700 rpm, until 3 days ago! i parked for the night went to start in morning and just rolled over, had petal to floor most of it wich i never had to do for the last 4 years! it finally started just as i was allmost out of battery power, next morning same thing but this time once it fired it idel at 800 rpm for about 4-5 minutes then dropped back down to its normal 700 or a bit less cause it was a cold morning, this morning same thing finally fired , almost out of battery power, idel higher than normal at 800 again then droped to 700 , acted like a electonic engine on high idel then dropping, anyway i know this is a long post but tryin give the jist of things! things i have checked, shut off solinoide is fully working removed n tested and checked wiring,transfer pump was replaced a year ago with a new oem cat part, and also the pump primer replaced with a oem cat part, i should mention when i try to start this thing i have tryed to pump primer and it is hard all 3 days wich tells me im not loosin prime correct?im thinking something in the govener is at fault , any ideas on what i czn test , try, replace?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tj379

tj379 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2019
    ontario
    i should also mention the truck runs as normal , pulls good and will restart normal once its bin started that day , if i sit it for 2 hrs no problem sit for the night thats when this problem occurs, thanks in advance

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Help @wore out!

Only thing I can suggest is to check the little check valves in the primer pump. Somehow they can flip over, or partially flip. Just take the two bolts out and look at the dime sized check valves. If they look identical one of them has flipped. This probably isn't your problem, but it doesn't cost anything to check.

Also, how cold has it been where you are? Perhaps some icing/gelling in the filters? They usually don't clear up much though if that is the problem, but just a thought.

Dino soar, SAR and jamespmack Thank this.
  5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    If the pump is hard that means it has pressure. I am betting if it has pressure after sitting all night @Oxbow hit the nail on the head

Dino soar, bzinger, SAR and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Be nice to know what the fuel pressure is when acting up. @tj379 , do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Dino soar, SAR, jamespmack and 2 others Thank this.
  7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Also on front of the pump is a 2 bolt cover under it you will see the rack bar with a notch in it. Remove cover look at position of notch. Turn key on notch should move toward rear of pump just a bit. If not push it with your fingers and see if it moves then see if it starts better. If so then you have pump trouble

SAR, Dino soar, SL3406 and 3 others Thank this.
  8. tj379

tj379 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2019
    ontario
    it hasnt bin real cold , first night it happened or shoukd say morning it was 40 degrees, next 2 morning bot 32-34,the primer pump is definitely hard after sitting all night but i will check those valves and report back,i do have a fuel pressure gage but finding the fittings to install it inline may take a bit! i am assuming to check lift pump pressure correct? 30-40 psi?and is it possible to post a pic so i can check that rack bar and notch? im just not quite sure where u mean to look , thanks

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Well, it's not gelling at that temp, and if the primer pump is hard probably not that, but still worth a quick check. I can get you a picture of what Wore Out was talking about checking, soon as the sun comes up here.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    SAR, Wheeljack and spsauerland Thank this.
  10. tj379

tj379 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2019
    ontario
    ok great, i have a gut feel it is something like that, no gelling wont be an issue, years ago i did have a problem with this b model gelling when got real cold, i installed an artic fox fuel heater in the frame and run coolent lines to it and also plumed it so my webasto would prewarm fuel as well as engine and it worked great never a problem gelling since

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    SAR, tj379, magoo68 and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.