Cat 3406e getting hot

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Nestor, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Nestor

Nestor Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2015
    So I hooked up computer to it . My gauge is reading same as ecm. I was relying on the gauge I bought at autozone . I had Plumed that directly into thermostat housing, so I though it was very acurate . It was reading like 10 15 degrees hotter .but after verifying ecm coolant temp I feel more comfortable knowing it’s never got near 200 because my fan switch is set at 205. I swapped it with a 195 and once my original dash gauge hits 195 fan kicks on . On a hot day 90 degrees like yesterday and today and loaded on flat road it stays around 190 195 once fan kicks in won’t go higher than that

w9l Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nestor

Nestor Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Yup did same thing

4. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    It is when fan cant keep up I get worried. Btw, you don't have one of those cool looking nylon mesh bug screens do you? The kind with flames or teeth or big logo? Caused me headaches with my W9 years ago. Locked fan would barely prevent overheat with empty bullrack in cross wind...

5. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Never had a water pump impeller slip myself, but it does happen. Use to be a write up on here or DG by Johnp3 on testing for that. And finally my last bit of knowledge on this subject and then I will shut up. I bought my W9 in 96 . It was 3yrs old. By the time it was about 6yrs old I had replaced water pump, had radiator removed and rodded, Rebuilt timing advance and other vain attempts at getting it to cool properly in even mild temps. Just drove with fan locked all the time if it was over 75 out. Finally took radiator out again because I got suspicious of the shop that charged me for pulling it and having it rodded. Took to radiator shop and the old man that owned it looked at in in bCk of my pickup. He took out his pocket knife and stuck it in the fins in several places. He says "here is your problem son" as he moved the fins up and down on the tubes like an accordion "fins are detached from tubes- lack of heat transfer" I already had tank off of top and that part looked fine. This was on a 5 or 6 yr old radiator that didnt really show much exterior corrosion. Replace core. Problem solved. Just thought I would pass on what little I have learned over the years. I am the old man now...

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.