Cat 6 NZ

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by ROBERTCADAMS, May 23, 2014.

1. ROBERTCADAMS

ROBERTCADAMS Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Crossville,TN
    Any of you Heavy Haulers have your stock Engines Modified or Built by one of the Performance Shops for Diesel Engines like Pittsburgh Power? Is your 550 to 600 H.P. with 2050 Lbs.of Torque enough for you?? Or would you like a 1000 H.P. to 1400 H.P. with 2650 Lbs. Of Torque? Built and balance for the Horsepower it puts out while still getting decent fuel mileage. Hooked to a 18 spd. with a 4 spd. Auxiliary, 6" drive line ? 220 sq.inch 4 core radiator. a purpose built Heavy Haul Tractor,Not a road Tractor converted to pull Heavy.

Robert

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    I was reading a thread somewhere once about utilizing marine cat engine parts , and making very impressive #'s
    like 1000 hp mark or real close .
    maybe it wasnt on hear though because I can't find it now.

4. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    All great, until you need a repair done on the road, and they can't do it due to all the custom parts inside.
    My first truck had "365HP" on a big sticker on the side of it, showing off. Granted this was years and years ago, but it did the job in a country where 96,800lbs is legal weight, and over mountains that make pretty much anything here look like an anthill.
    Wonder how anyone survived when they had a motor that had less than 1,950 HP and 50,000ft lbs.......
    Martin

SHC, milskired, SQ609 and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    Do they really pull apart a engine on the side of the hwy ?
    curious as to what DOT would have to say about that. Lol

Bpalmer825 Thanks this.
  6. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    No one pulls apart engines on the side of the road, that I know of. I have done LOTS of work on Detroits, Cats and Cummins in truck stops though. Rebuilding Jakes, replacing injectors, pushrods, rockers, egr valves, and so on. Helps that I carry a code reader too, that reads all engine, emission and ABS codes, well worth the $325 in my book.
    By all means, get all those special parts though, then be in BFE and need a rocker assembly, injector, ECM, etc etc etc. All that power isn't worth snot when it's being pulled by a wrecker due to those special parts.
    Call me paranoid, but I want a motor that can be rebuilt with parts from K Mart just about!

Martin

7. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Why would you want to do that to a 3406 when you could just use a C-18 and turn it way down. There are quite a few of them in Alaska and the Yukon in trucks.

8. sky_blue

sky_blue Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Tampa, Fl
    Maybe all those horses will help you get to your 80mph with the RV. If you're truly going to put that much power into that tractor get at least meritor 26k drive axles. Anything less will be turned to shreds in no time. 1000hp with 80k gross and and your 40k axles will survive for some time, but 1000hp with 200k+ gross weight will get torn to shreds in no time.

Eaton 40k axles are rated to pull 110k forward, and Eaton 46k axles are rated to pull 160k forward. Meritor 40 axles are rated for 145k forward and Meritor 46k axles are rated for 185k forward. These ratings are based on high output 600hp engines. 1000hp and youll bend and warp them from the inside at a much lower gross weight

9. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    It's been my experience that the u-joints or input shaft will go out before that rear axles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  10. Truckdobe

Truckdobe Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2010
    SC
    I never understand all of the unsolicited, negative commentary.
    I run a 750+ hp 3406b with no driveline issues. It rarely needs a repair, but CAT in Memphis rebuilt my governor when it came apart and did the overhead without a problem. No, they can't install my turbo, injectors & such, but they can still do repairs & maintenance.

IF I ever decide to get an electronic engine, it will be a 6nz with 750-1000 horsepower, but it will be engine only, you can keep the plastic truck.

11. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    If you didn't have a bearing failure in the transmission, then that is driver abuse. Those input shafts can handle way more power and torque than most of us have money to build. What they cannot handle is shock load, that will break an input shaft in a heart beat.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.