CAT 6NZ Turbo boost

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Peen, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Peen

Peen Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Do your brakes work better now? Went to Pape KW and they guy said they could rebuild them but in his experience, for $950 they might not be any better and I should just shop around and get some jakes.

Also, the reason I ask about the fuel temp is because when I first did the resistor mod it fell out running. So maybe unplugged with no resistor threw that code? I did fold the pins back on the resistor to make it thicker and stick in better then taped it all up good right after that happened.

This was a "Logged Diagnostic code" and there are no Logged event and Active diagnostic codes. This stufff is fun, I should go to school to be a diesel mechanic :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yeah they work great now. Broken spring on a jake control valve in the #5 cylinder. They went ahead and replaced all the other springs while they were in there. $25 worth of springs and $275 on labor/tax I didn't think that was too bad for a Cat house. He told me he could get the new springs from pac brake he just didn't know how to cross reference their part#'s with Cat's and had to call someone else to help figure that out.

4. Mr. Haney

Mr. Haney Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Yep.......this is what caused it

5. Peen

Peen Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2010
    That is a good deal! Mine are very weak, going down Ashland in Oregon/Cali I have to shift down to 5L and do 20mph for them to hold 70-80k lbs.

6. Peen

Peen Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Looking into your PDI computer, not sure if my trucks a good one to trick out though, 2002 KW T2000 6nZ 1850lb TQ 13speed with 803k ECM miles, 6.5mpg avg, O/O truck, no rebuilds ever or major problems. Always been a good truck.

CAT wants $500 to uprate to 550HP

7. Mr. Haney

Mr. Haney Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2008
    There is nothing wrong with your truck to stop you from doing some modifications for power and fuel mileage.

Your fuel mileage is very good, increasing power with a stock 550 file will probably hurt fuel mileage. PDI has a nice 600 hp file with timing added that will keep the fuel mileage up and give you power at the same time. I actually had them write this file for a customer in Australia. The customer is very happy with the program so far, his gross weights are very high(as high as 330,000Lbs) he is still racing other trucks proving he's got more power and has seen a slight increase in fuel mileage to date. I'm waiting for him to settle down to his normal driving style to see how much of a fuel mileage gain he really has before reporting to much.

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    $500 is what it costs to uprate hp, call around and see if I'm wrong. I'm not so sure the weaker springs affected my jaking so much. I've never had any complaints with that at all. They were just old and one broke. It happened to me friday afternoon when I was bobtailing home. I just drove over to Thompson Cat in Manchester and left it. I know the truck engine tech over there he knows what he's doing and doesn't waste time. That's a standup bunch theyre the only trustworthy "dealer shop" I've ever known and the only ones I ever let touch my motor.

9. 2001mack

2001mack Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2010
    toronto,ontario.ca
    hi I'm new hear! but like to ask you guy's what you think about a 2003 pete with a cat motor 948000 kil's on it engine # 6nz 705.. is this a good motor,,,will be pulling some heavy load's with it thank's dan

10. Peen

Peen Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I think any 6NZ is a good motor.

Ok question about standard cat uprate. If I go in to get an uprate, do I just ask for standard 550HP file, 550 heavy haul or something like that? Or is there just 1 option for uprating. I always see something about a heavy haul, brake saver...etc so was just curious about that. Would love to do Mr.Haney's just so far away and afraid my T2000 cooling would never keep up

11. DDS

DDS Medium Load Member

May 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Cat will not install the brakesaver file for you, where are you located?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.