CAT C-12

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by LBZ, Feb 21, 2010.

1. e500gvr

e500gvr Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Bloomington,MN
    That serial number was built as a 380 HP @2100 rpm. It actually develops 395 HP # 1800 Rpm.
    See the spec sheet attched.

Attached Files:

LBZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Thanks so much! It has the factory 380 HP stamp on the side of the motor, then right next to it is Altorfer CAT's dyno tag showing 385 HP to the wheels.

May have to take this thing to CAT to ever find out what is programmed into it. I know the previous owner swears the torque is set at 1650 across the board.

Not complaining about any of it, just curious to know what it all is.

4. e500gvr

e500gvr Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Bloomington,MN
    Typically, wheel hp is around 80% of the rated hp so, If you used 395 as peak hp, 80% would be around 316 wheel hp.
    Double check Altorfer's report to see what they are stating: wheel hp or flywheel hp.

5. Donk

Donk Have a Cup Of Concrete

Apr 27, 2008
    sounds like somne has had the 435/1650 tune put into it.

6. dicky

dicky Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2008
    st.paul , mn.
    multi-torque 380-430 with 1650 lbs tq rating would be my guess with the high torque in the top 2 or top 4 gears

7. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    That makes sense, I need to call CAT & have them clarify the tq numbers from the dyno. That sheet is uploaded on page 1 of this thread, just have zoom in your screen to read it.

8. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    What temp are these motors suppose to run at?

Ran the truck around home(within 300-400 miles) to find any bugs in it for awhile & it ran perfectly. Took it out to AZ & the first grade on 40 in N.M. sent the water temp shooting up. Took me a bit, but found that the radiator & cac had a lot of lime caked within. The previous owner loaded at an indoor site so any moisture & the lime set up like concrete.

Still cleaning on it, but if anyone knows of recommended upgrades to the cooling system or what not, would love to hear it.

9. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    You can check the thermostat opening temperature, when it is cold run it up at 1500RPM and feel the top rad pipe if it gets warm as the truck is running and the temp is below 190 degrees then the thermostats or seals are leaking and should be repaired. The radiator and CAC, I would take them off and have them cleaned at a Radiator shop. Having the engine overheating, is not a good thing and it will cost a lot more to do a head gasket, than getting the thermostat and seals changed, and the radiator cleaned, and the CAC get it tested 35 lbs, preasure and it should hold for 15 seconds and only loose 5 lbs. Getting that cleaned will save you fuel. The engine should run between 190 and 210, and be controlled by the fan cycling. Depending on the fan in tempature it could go as high as 225. Just a thought!

LBZ Thanks this.
  10. underdogg

underdogg Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Bridgetown,Barbados
    hi there i have a cat c12 that misfires,it has no power problem started after cat tec calibrated the truck,found that the #2 injector was bad,he changed that fitted a new cam,new rollers and engine still misfires.does any one have any info that can help.

11. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Thanks everyone for all the info you have provided so far. Always want to learn everything possible to diagnose or correct what ever needs to be done.

So far, no issues with the motor, has burned about a gallon of oil over 12 thousand miles & am probably going to change the Rotella out to Schaeffers next weekend.

I have never driven a 13 spd. truck, but can imagine where that would be a good thing.

Somehow must have missed the boost & fuel temp wires, thought that was only for the C15. If it will help in any way or improve fuel econ. it may be worth checking out. Last qtr. IFTA the truck averaged 7.58.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.