CAT C-12

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by LBZ, Feb 21, 2010.

1. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    I really need to print out this whole thread & read it more thoroughly.
    It probably needs a new radiator & charge air as mentioned above with the temp issue, but also noticed someone mentioned to update the cam followers, fuel & boost wires, & bearings. Much more money than I had planned on.

Am I correct to assume an oil analyses (first one) would be a good indicator for the bearings, but the cam followers should just be done when the radiator & CAC are swapped out? The motor has around 660,000 on it & has not been opened other than the pan gasket & rear seal as far as I know.

I can do basics, but once it gets to internal stuff off to the mechanic it goes. He has been great so far & knows his stuff, but want to have as much info as possible before hand if that makes sense & appreciate all the help so far.

Oh & will have coolant analyzed before we swap out the radiator, just hoping Detroit Radiator has another sale soon!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. billandlori

billandlori Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Stratford, Ontario, Canada
    We had a 2000 Classic with a C12 and 13 speed. Great little engine!!

Got amazing mpg's and never left us stranded.

Was kinda lazy when we first got it, it pulled real light loads for first two years. Then we got it and ran at 80K lbs most of the time. A top set got all the power back and gained 1mpg.

At around 800,000 we had coolant showing up in the oil samples so we did a head gasket and water pump. While it was apart, we replaced the turbo also.

About 1 year later we had a miss develop and replaced all 6 injectors (Peterbilt had a deal going!).

We sold the truck with about 1 million miles on it and the oil samples were still coming back great.

Good luck with yours!

Bill

LBZ Thanks this.
  4. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I drove a company FL with a c12... we had a bunch of them and they were pretty good engines... mine gave about 6.6 mpg but we were hauling 90K about 5 months out of he year.

5. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    I've never heard of anyone who owned a C12 and didn't like it.

6. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    Most I have talked to said the C12 is a much better motor than the C13

7. Jfaulk99

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    A C13 is a C12 bottom end and twin turbos and cost a fortune to overhaul. But the one we have has been pretty problem free and runs good.

8. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    The rebuild costs the same... the turbos ARE expensive...

9. Jfaulk99

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    You may be right, I know my mechanic told me it was more expensive to do a C13 over a C15.

10. Slick900

Slick900 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Waterloo Ontario
    Mine did the same thing when i got it,,,ended up being the codes in the computor weren't the proper ones for the injectors that where in it,,,put in the proper codes and the miss fire/stumble was gone!!!!

11. rollinsmoke

rollinsmoke Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Since were on the topic of C12's I'm working on one right now and it looks to be #3 liner o-ring is leaking. Is there a way to pull the liner out with the piston still in it? I dont have a ring compressor that big. Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.