CAT C-15 engine problems

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by warn, Jan 26, 2010.

1. montana cowboy

montana cowboy Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2010
    kindersley saskatchewan
    thanks, yes cay say's injectors need to changed!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. montana cowboy

Feb 13, 2010
    kindersley saskatchewan
    DDS or any one
    Who up here in flat land Canada can flash please as fuel milage is eating my pocket book up!!!!!!!!!!!
    I had top end set shimed transfer pump,helped with mid range(1200-1600rpm's)but did not help with mpg
    :biggrin_2556:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  4. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    I'm not sure the 625hp program is going to solve you fuel mileage problems. If anything an aftermarket program like BullyDog or PDI, that returns the timing lost due to the emissions requirements is going to be the best fix.

montana cowboy Thanks this.
  5. montana cowboy

Feb 13, 2010
    kindersley saskatchewan
    your right,if cann't get mpg then hp for 3.8-4'2mpg thanks!!!!!!!!!

6. Mr. Haney

Mr. Haney Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2008
    You can do the 625hp in your engine, but will not have a big fuel mileage gain. The PDI programs will give you both a power gain and fuel mileage gain.

7. e500gvr

e500gvr Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Bloomington,MN
    It's basically a software change to the rating family but you need enough transmission torque rating in order to get the dealer to make the rating change. besides dealer labor charges, I believe there is also a $1500 uprate fee the factory charges for the extra liability they have with all those extra ponies under the hood.If it' beyond standard warranty, I think the uprate fee was $800.

8. Dutch

Dutch Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Commiefornia
    out of warranty it should typically run 500-700$ for an uprate its when its in warranty is it gets more expensive.

9. Jas

Jas Medium Load Member

A dealer can't flash a 550 Acert to 625, they are not the same rating family. people are flashing the 625 file into 550s and see a good gain but no Cat dealer is doing this as they cant. A proper 625 has different pistons, turbo, injectors and cam. Not saying is not a good idea just dont go down to a dealer and expect them to do it.

PDI or Bullydog seems to be the better option.

10. speedyc-16

speedyc-16 Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2009
    ice box,idaho
    PDI has a killer reflash for the acert motor, big power gains, good mileage gains and works well with the dual turbos so they say.

11. skid2037

skid2037 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Ive worked at cat for 13 years on truck engines. And i am sad that they are getting out of the industry. But remmember the secret to the acert engine is gear fast run slow technology. It has to be that way for the low/nox emisions. I have found that most drivers are still pulling the load like they did in the 3406 b,c,e days "pre acert tech". The engine was designed to pull at a low rpm dont be afraid to lug the engine a bit. For instance if you are starting into a hill say 1600- 1800 rpm grab the next gear down when u hit about 1400 and stay with that gear till around 1250 or 1300. However the happy medium is at 1400, that is where the turbos are working there best and the gear fast run slow tech comes into play. The power curve on an acert engine is lower than say that of the 5ek,1lw,mbn,6ts,6nz engine. There curves are peaked out at 1600-1850 rpm running about a 1600- 1800 ft lbs of torque. The bxs and mxs engines only come alive at lower rpm. Most cat dealers have a very hard time telling a driver that has driven for 30 years that he dont know how to drive. But its not the driver its the technology that has changed. For the worse? Yes for the worse! Cat didnt want to make that engine into the aboration it is today it was put down there throats by the tree hugging government, and the global warming myth.

Rafferty and montana cowboy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.