cat c12 turbo spool

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Don379, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Attached is video with boost gauge. Watch gauge. Nothing is throwing any red flags at me, Motor is 445hp 2ks serial from factory. I have tuned for 500+ hp. In video im going uphill with scaled 73200. This winter im trying to switch up a few things. I have tried 2 different turbos and resorted back to stock due to turbo lag. So far stock spools the fastest. Im thinking i want to try pdi stage 1 turbo for cat c12. yes they have one. So anyhow, by looking at video and boost gauge, can anyone see where there might be an improvement or is spool time pretty much what you see is what you get and pdi will be waste of money. Need the torque down low all the time. its my local hauling truck
    https://youtube.com/shorts/eyQi-MkG-hI?feature=share

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Slap a set of compound turbos off a C-13 on.
    Lots of low end grunt

4. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    i hear ya but i have 3 c13 friends locally. The one that owns 2 cant keep up with my tuned c12 at all and my other friend just deleted his twins last month for one single and got the power that it needed from the factory. Compounds are out of the question. However lester, i do appreciate all suggestions my friend.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Yeah but I think you are looking at it all wrong. The problem with compound turbo engines isn't the turbos, it's the tuning and other things. Everyone always says "oh I singled out my truck and picked up power and mpg" but they forget to mention that they also changed the tune too.
    The compounds will handle a wide range of HP. A set on your tuned C-12 would really make it purr I'd bet. I don't know anything about the smaller bore engines or turbos but I know I really like the compounds on my 6nz. Low end power and fast spool. Can let off the gas half way up a hill and roll right back into it. Heavy and short hauls it's great.
    Obviously I'm a fan but I'll go back to my corner now

landlord, A5¢, Diesel Dave and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Well lester, ill tell you what, ill look more into it. I have another buddy that said he can put me in touch of one of his guys that does cats and uses cat in his sled truck. So next month, ill reach out to him and see what i can come up with. Thank you

lester Thanks this.
  7. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    B/w 171701 run pretty good on a c12

Don379 and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.