CAT C15 /6NZ trouble continues

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by truck 307, Dec 20, 2017.

1. truck 307

truck 307 Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Question Troy.
    How did CAT figure out the injector seats were not cut right ?
    I'm trying to get CAT over here to consider this, even though I just found out that when CAT pulled the head a few weeks ago, and sent it to machine shop, the seats were in fact NOT cut even though they said yes they were.
    Liers..!!!

KB3MMX, bigguns and Cat sdp Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Dan If there were a flap of rubber in the hose, 100 psi would blow right past it. I don’t know how much pressure there is on return fuel but I would blow thru it by mouth. I’m guessing now, but I believe it wouldn’t take much to block the fuel.

SAR and Feedman Thank this.
  4. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    the tech used a borescope, he even took digital photos with it and emailed them out to his department head. he said he could tell immediately the seats were not properly cut, and the injectors never had a chance to seal correctly from day one. he told me there will be a tiny bit of blowby until carbon seals up around the injector tip, but these he claimed would have leaked from day one until they were bad enough that the truck would start missing. which it did.

that machinist dude that made the seat cutting tool should be credited for nailing the issue with my engine. he said it was the problem way early on.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    KB3MMX, bigguns, SAR and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    he was at our shop only to change the injectors cat agreed to warranty, once he had the old ones out and had a look, he refused to put them into that head and called his shop to let them know. that guy deserves a huge thanks as well. tough to find people that give a crap these days to stand up for the little guy. kudos to Chris, Finning mechanic in Peace River Alberta.

bigguns, SAR, spsauerland and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Truck engine machinist

Truck engine machinist Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2011
    USA
    I said this, back on Jan 10. #234 I could have fixed this for you, years ago.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. truck 307

Aug 11, 2014
    Ok guys, it's over...finally.
    Wanted to be 200% sure before I said that.
    Here's what it was and how I found it.
    As followers of this thread know, for 2+ years I did it all, CAT did also, 99% CAT did was warranty under my Platinum warranty plan.
    After CAT and everyone else poked at the bear, I always continued on my own, changing every sensor, every wiring harness, fuel pump, fuel supply line, you name it, even pulled the tranny, as it was always in upper gear pulls that the engine? stumbled shook and lost power as a result.
    One day a month ago , staring out the windshield, I started to think I messed up on a stratoflex fitting when building a fuel supply line, thinking I forgot to live the hose before threading on the tapered section and I cut a flap inside the hose. So , easy enough, I re connected the old supply line.
    No change.
    One day, a few weeks later looking at that capped off new supply line, I thought just maybe I'll try connecting that newly built fuel line to the return side. So, because the return line is normally a size smaller, I bought $110 in adapter fittings. I crawled under the truck, connected the new stratoflex fuel return line, and Monday came around.
    I fired up my 6NZ and in 5 minutes I knew I had fixed it.
    No stumble
    No shaking
    No power drop off.
    I pulled out the old return line 6 days later, cut it open, inch by inch, until I found it.
    Years of hot fuel returning had degraded the rubber, a flap hung down inside the hose half way between the engine and diverter valve.
    The way I figure, the fuel temp sensor , before the head , told the ECM, my fuel temp inbound was ??? Let's say 100 degrees. But nope, the return line flap restriction had that fuel much hotter, maybe near boiling.
    The ECM wss regulating fuel injection via the temperature sensor, but it was wrong info, thanks to the fuel return line restriction.
    Smooooth. Unbelievable smooth running.
    Can't thank y'all enough.
    Its been a trip guys, and a expensive one at that..
    Great thanks to Swaan, engine machinist, and the so many others who stood by my side, ready, willing and dedicated.
    Hope I can return the favor one day.
    I'll be around, looking, hoping to help another owner op or just anyone in need.
    God bless, my friends.
    Again, great thanks.
    ( and, thinking about what one of y'all said many pages back..
    ☆☆ and that's the last episode, the final season, you were all waiting for on this Netflix series that seemed to go on forever ..

joey8686, KB3MMX, Bumper and 15 others Thank this.
  8. truck 307

Aug 11, 2014
    O. And " BIGGUNS", I know you said " if it were a flap of rubber, it would have blown past by now"
    All I can say is,...anything is obviously very possible...
    Great thanks to everyone. !!!

KB3MMX, wore out, tony97905 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I don’t have a CAT but, even I’ve been waiting for this day!!

Roberts450 and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    That is great news @truck 307!! Glad you found the problem. Happy truckin.

wore out, Troy_, Roberts450 and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    I am happy you finally resolved the issue Dan, must be one hell of a weight off your shoulders! that 6NZ should last the rest of your trucking days trouble free since you've about replaced every darn thing on it!!

kind of coincidental your issue was return lines, I just had the return line crack and start leaking on mine in behind the engine. I pulled it off to find years of high heat had severely cracked and deteriorated the entire length from the primer/filter housing out to the frame rail towards the cooler in the front bumper. pulled the suction line off from in behind the engine just to check it out and it still looked like new. that heated returning fuel must do a number on those lines.

KB3MMX, wore out, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.