CAT c15 mxs

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by arnoldal243, Jan 14, 2019.

1. arnoldal243

arnoldal243 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Albion IN
    We were new to the Cat game when we rebuilt this motor and we had already single turboed it. We wanted to get ride of the actuation. We talked to a local motor guy and he told us all we had to do was change the pistons so we did with a stock Mxs head and everything. Now we have blown the head gasket twice in 23,000 mile reaching out to see it there’s anyone that I can talk to about this. Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WrenchWrenchWrench

WrenchWrenchWrench Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Did they check the liner protrusion when replacing the head gasket?

4. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    There are some extremely good folks on here that can help you out with a complex procedure,troubleshooting a blown head gasket. The Superstars or Diesel Mechanics. I am sure one will hop on and help out.

pushbroom and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. The PHD in truckin!

The PHD in truckin! Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah man the mofo who specializes in doing cat single retrofitting is a cool cat name Miguel. Shreveport Louisiana .His shop is called Fleet Deisel Services . That cat can rebuild em with retro turbo with a blindfold . I'll be going to him with my bxs when I get some bread. These rates are killing me

6. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    My cat guy has been real good with my sdp engine and while we have eliminated a few things and played with the computer he absolutely recommended against eliminating the actuator s......i.m at 1.2 million most of my mods were done at 750 truck has been a consistent 7.3 mpg and still have stock turbos....he told me quite a few guys with the actuator and single turbos have blown head gaskets soon after

7. The PHD in truckin!

The PHD in truckin! Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Texas
    Oh yeah man I'm not gonna be changing my configuration either. My bxs has 1million-89thou with no major internal work. One of the iva's went out last year but they are simple to swap out .

8. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    if its blown a head gasket its because a liner has sunk. the only way to fix that is to remove the liners, counter bore and shim the block. otherwise it will keep blowing head gaskets.

you also need to use 16:1 comp pistons with no IVA. 17 or 18:1 results in too much cylinder pressure and will lead to premature failure of the head gasket

Lalito.1234, A5¢ and Expeditor Thank this.
  9. Lalito.1234

Lalito.1234 Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2015
    irwin,il
    yes and thats cuz they left the 18:1 high compression pistons, if u remove ivas vva and go to single turbo u need 16:1 low comp pist, n itll run like a champion

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.