Cat c15 questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Thetrashnoob, Mar 4, 2021.

1. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Just because the compressor is leaking oil and they didn't paint the head doesn't mean it was a cheap or half butt rebuild. Trucks leak oil. You can have cat rebuild your truck and next day something not involved in the rebuild can start leaking

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    hey lester,no bad blood. i understand that. Im only speaking of what i have saw through the years. Motor only had 30k on rebuild when it was sold. The motor went south and they couldn't offload it in its condition. So it neded a rebuild. Happens all the time. ITs an old truck and a genuine cat rebuild with cat warranty cost more than the truck is worth. Only way to sell it and get any money from it is to have a budget rebuild done. Run it or a few miles to break it in and make sure it is solid and then sell it. Dont take it the wrong way. When i say budget rebuild, i mean a shop thats willing to do it for half the cost or less. When doing that, you do take a risk. However, thats going into a whole new bag. Like i said, i have a friend that a bought a truck in same scenario. Its been running good with 150k on the clock aftr rebuild. Just leaks all over the place and the block looks like crap with no fresh paint. I feel ike paint goes a long way. You cant spot the leaks as they develop. Im running on 350k miles on my cat rebuild and it is so clean you can eat off it. Having it painted and oil free works with you on finding new leaks a the end of the day

lester Thanks this.
  4. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    25k?? That guy got ripped a new one, even if it was a platinum i wouldnt pay no more than 20 for one. Especially for one with no warranty.

5. Thetrashnoob

Thetrashnoob Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    The responses from the guy started to get sketchy, pretty much the company that ownerd it, got it rebuilt then the next week sold it to this guy who has had it sitting for 3-4 months and knows nothing about the truck. The vin number on the paperwork doesn’t match the vin that’s on the truck. I’m starting to see some major red flags

Coffey Thanks this.
  6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Obviously it's had a new head at some point but who knows if it was just the head or a full overhaul. You would assume with a new head they would have done a complete in frame and hopefully cut the counter bores. But if the numbers don't match who knows.

If you like the truck see if you can get it bought cheap since the paperwork doesn't add up.

7. Muddydog79

Apr 14, 2016
    Dont walk, run away.

8. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    Yup, as soon as I noticed the vins were different that was it for me. Whole thing seemed sketchy from the beginning.

Muddydog79 Thanks this.
  9. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    I’ve found another truck, this one is a 05, has 380K on it, hasn’t been rebuilt, anything specific for the year that I should be looking for?

10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Yeah i got the turbo in with a cat platinum and 4 year /400k warranty for 23k so rebuild at that price seems steep

Muddydog79 Thanks this.
  11. Muddydog79

Apr 14, 2016
    need more details

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.