Cat diesel power!!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 550hpW900L, Nov 12, 2008.

1. DDS

DDS Medium Load Member

May 20, 2008
    Toronto
    One o-ring under and one over, there is a indent in the spacer plate for the seals. Seals only go on the large oil feed dowel.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w900b

w900b Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    off topic also, 550 do you find your kw boost gauge vibrates violntly and you cant get a correct reading? mostly above 25psi i find

4. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Buy one off an Acert equipped KW, no flutter over 50psi.

5. w900b

w900b Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    arent the increments on the acert gauge fewer and farther between? its nice havig it in 5psi increments for accurate readings. is this flutter common?

6. Coal Bucket

Coal Bucket Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Charm City
    There is a small part called a buffer that goes on the end of the boost pressure feed line (assuming you have a mechanical gauge) at the engine.. The fitting is small and looks simmilar to the end of the line.. these can get worn. There is a buffer on the fuel pressure feed line also. They are there to prevent pulsation from fuel pumps and minor pulsations from turbo(s) being translated to the gauge..... Seems (if my memory serves me right) that most common buffer issue on boost line is that charge pressure will read slow and or incorrectly... This may or may not be your problem, but those parts are not expensive or hard to install.........

7. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Mine is 0-80 in 5 psi increments, factory gauge.

8. beltrans

beltrans Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2008
    spokane wa
    Have a question about valve springs. I heared that some engines have one spring per valve and some have two. What are benefits having two springs instead of one? I have 3406e, 6ts and there is one valve spring for each valve.

9. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Some engines have dual valve springs per valve to help control valve float. Vavlve float happens for a few different reasons, but the most common are high RPMs and/or heavy vavlve weights. The dual springs raise the seat pressures of the valve which help it seal better, but in turn it causes a lot of strain on the rest of the valve train. This strain is especially noticeble on the cam lobes and lifter. The desicion to run dual or single springs basically depends on what the true purpose of the engine is. For a stock over the road motor dual springs wouldn't be benifical unless the engine has to run heavier valves for some reason. Now on a high RPM sled pulling diesel motor (they turn upwards of 6000 RPM) dual springs are pretty much a nesseciaty.

10. beltrans

beltrans Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2008
    spokane wa
    Thank you Pullingtrucker, I asked that question because once accelerating under load with RPMs around 1500 and 30 psi boost I heared some kind of puffing sound which I would describe like backfiring. I got scared little bit so now i am kind of relactant of givving the engine full throttle. Not sure what it really was. I thought it could be a weak valve spring or springs of intake valves so that an intake valve doesn't close completely before combustion occurs. But that my thoughts.

11. DDS

DDS Medium Load Member

May 20, 2008
    Toronto
    The double springs also help out when you have a spring failure, I have found lots of double spring engines with a broken springs and the valve did not fail, now with single spring failure, the valve usually ends up coming out the exhaust.....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.