Cat injectors

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by spudman76, Apr 22, 2017.

1. spudman76

spudman76 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Idaho
    turns out that my power problem is the injectors in my motor. That being said, I'm going to get new injectors ordered on Monday. I have a C15 6NZ. Question that I have, can I put a hotter injector in without needing to change hard parts? Also... would I be able to use my old injectors for a core on a bigger injector?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Core's have to be exactly the same part.....

4. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    you can put 58's in it same core

spudman76 and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  5. E model Cat man

E model Cat man Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Northern Maine
    OR-8502's or 10r-0958's is what you want. the original 0957's will swap in for a core no problem.

6. spudman76

spudman76 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Idaho
    Thanks. I think I will go with the 58s. Also, will I see an increase in HP with one step higher? How about fuel mileage?

7. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    Fuel mileage will depend on how you drive, there is between 75-100hp increase depending on programming.

Curious why you think your power issue is from injectors?

8. spudman76

spudman76 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Idaho
    I have been having a lot of problems with bottom end power. Every time that i go into a hard pull the motor just falls on its face. No power and barely getting 20lbs of boost from the turbo. I have had the truck in the shop twice now trying to figure out the problem.. No check engine light has come on. Shop has done a cylinder cut out test, checked all my boots on CAC to ensure no leaks or loose clamps. CAC is brand new. I had the front structure done on the truck do to the major oil leak that it had. At the same time i replace the head too being that the old one was no good. Cam shaft has been inspected by 2 different shops and is in good condition. Timing has been checked and is right on. Turbo also was inspected and no problems with it either. After speaking with the mechanic on Friday the only thing he can think of at this point is the injectors. He also checked the trim codes in the ECM and made sure that they matched the injectors. The injectors that it has are the original ones and have never been changed. He believes that the engine is not getting enough fuel to produce the power and boost that it needs. So at this point i suppose changing them are the next thing. If you have any suggestions i would gladly love to hear them

thanks

9. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    Have you checked fuel pressures? Maybe your transfer pump or spring inside is getting weak?

snowman_w900 and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    Boost sensor can do this also and give no check engine light. Take sensor out and supply shop air to sensor and have someone mash throttle. If the motor isn't seeing boost it won't fuel the engine. Exhaust should be black and lots of it. I understand the want part of a bigger set of injectors but I would myself want to know which injector is bad first. Chances of them all being bad is fairly slim in my eyes. If you have a resistor in your fuel temp wire they don't last very long from what I have found and will cause similar issues.

11. spudman76

spudman76 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Idaho
    @ SAR... I had forgot to mention that they did check the fuel pressures. And they were low. Replaced the pump and got the pressures where they are suppose to be..... Still at the same problem. No boost or power.

Maggard.... Thanks for that tip. I will let the shop know in the morning to try that and see if its a problem. I also thought it was strange that all of my injectors went bad at once. Although the first mechanic said they do all need replaced due to how old they are and the potential of them getting brittle and the tip breaking off and then would take out all kinds of crap. Now keep in mind, when the oil leaks were bathing my truck in oil, the truck ran like a champ. Even had a 10 speed tranny which i have replaced with a 2050 torque 13 speed. That being said, I heard that my torque is set at 1720, Not sure if that will cause and issue too. Im sure that it doesnt help. I guess at this point im going to have them turn the motor up to 550 from 475 and increase the torque.

SAR Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.