Cat injectors

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by spudman76, Apr 22, 2017.

1. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    Have you ran the truck on cruise to see if the fuel pedal has a wore place on it? You could have a dead spot on the sensor and cause that but it would run proper on cruise. If you have fuel pressure at spec and injectors passing cutout I believe you would be wasting money on injectors. Did they test the truck sitting in shop or did you do a road test with cat et? All the sensors on the truck are mechanical combined with electrical. I had a very low boost problem once that ended up being the ecm not reading the boost. The boost and both timing sensors can go bad and not be visible to a normal et reading without a roadcheck.

spudman76 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    Have you checked the turbo for any damage?

There was a guy on here not too long ago that had engine work done and when he got it back had half the boost and no power. He was stumped also cause it ran fine before work was done to it. It turned out that whoever did the engine work didn't keep things clean and eventually dusted both turbos. I hope this isn't your case.

Keep us posted on what you find to fix your problem, good luck.

spudman76 Thanks this.
  4. spudman76

spudman76 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Idaho
    Maggard..... they did run the cat ET on a road test. He told me that they did monitor the fuel pedal and it was reading 100% when it was all the way down. I did run the truck on cruise when i was running some loads with it. And it did the exact same thing.

SAR..... I have had 2 different mechanics inspect the turbo. Its only about a year and half old. How would they know if it was dusted and damaged? Also, They have already ordered the injectors. Trust me i have been calling them several times a day giving them all these different ideas all you guys have been giving me.

I really appreciate all of your guys input. I has helped me understand my motor more and what can and will go wrong. I will ask again tomorrow if they think the turbo is in good shape and not damaged

5. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    The turbo fins will have nicks or bent blades. I will see if I can find that thread I was talking about earlier. He showed some pictures of what happened.

The way it sounds your turbo has been checked and verified it is ok.

spudman76 Thanks this.
  6. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    It would look like this
    upload_2017-4-24_21-49-32.png
    [​IMG]

7. spudman76

spudman76 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Idaho
    Thats great SAR. I will look forward to looking at his post if you find it.

Again, thank you very much for all your help

8. spudman76

spudman76 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Idaho
    Wow... Well yeah that is some really extensive damage. I will ask them tomorrow if they have for sure fully inspected the turbo. I can see how that would cause a problem

9. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
  10. spudman76

spudman76 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Idaho
    Talking with the shop this morning, He was kicking around the idea of putting the rerate in the ECM putting the motor back together and see if that would fix the problem. Im kinda leaning towards that only because im certain that its not the injectors that are failing.

What are your guys thoughts on this approach?

11. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    One thing I haven't seen, maybe I missed it. Did the check and see if the cac has a leak??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.