cat scale vs weigh station scale....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TrucKer 999 TriLLion, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    Could be on the steers if they are spec’ed for over 12,000lb as many are or on a spread axial on the trailer.

MrEd Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    The 400 would be allowed on gross weight. And it's not my interpretation. And I'm not even saying I agree with. I just know that it is the interpretation of some DOT officers. And we all know that they do not always interpret rules in a way that benefits us.

4. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    It may be true with some legal vehicle configurations that if you are 80400 you will have to be over on at least one axle set it isn't true of all legal configurations. And, you can be over on an axle set without being over gross on probably every legal configuration.

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You're wrong. I Googled one state with an APU exemption enacted in law.

NORTH DAKOTA VEHICLE LEGAL SIZE AND WEIGHT GUIDE
    NDHP Motor Carrier Operations
    Ref: 9-1 (12/11)

6. Auxiliary power or idle reduction unit (APU) weight.
    a. A vehicle with a fully functional APU will be allowed an additional 400 pounds or the certified unit weight, whichever is less. The additional pounds may be allowed in gross, axles, or bridge formula weight limits above the legal weight limits.
    b. Written certification showing weight of APU will be required.
    c. Demonstration of or certification that the APU is fully functional at all times may be required.​
    https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sour...ZmOAjE&usg=AFQjCNFDLpFxO-4-DkUc9gUcK03T9nbHRA (PDF)

6. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    thinking i have an apu with this company is wishful thinking
    but is back on the list of next company

7. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Is that in every state. You've only proven me wrong in one state. There are a few others. Besides, I was just relaying what an officer told me. I didn't say it was right. I really didn't think making such a simple statement would be such a big deal. At any rate, I'd think it smarter to err on the side of caution. I will just load my vehicle correctly, and keep my axle sets legal without worrying about an APU exception. Even if I'm wrong about it in some states, I'll always keep my money in my pocket, and not have to go to court to fight an officers misinterpretation.

8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.