Cat single turbo boost issue

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by united972, Aug 25, 2019.

1. united972

united972 Light Load Member

May 26, 2016
    I have a 2005 single turbo cat engin and I can’t get boost past 25psi. Going up hill truck has no power.

I have check air to air and all clamps cannot seem to figure it out.

A5¢ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Collie

Collie Guest

What did it used to have.
    25-28 psi is normal range for any single turbo cat. Unless you upgrade your turbo or pinch off wastegate.
    either way remove pipe frrom turbo discharge to cac. Buy 4" pvc fittings and air fitting to thread in at home depot. USe your cac boot to hold pvc in place. Add about 10psi to the ssystem and spray everything down with soapy water. Cacs like to crack at the elbows and also the edge of the fins. spray around intake elbow at motor too. spray everywhere forced air is going.
    Also, check operation of waste gate with compressed air.
    If all this checks out, your gonna have to check fuel psi while truck is under load

4. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    What did you do to single turbo it, that engine was originally an acert with compound chargers.

dustinbrock, A5¢ and pushbroom Thank this.
  5. Collie

Collie Guest

either single turbo conversion which is easy or a glider truck

6. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    I think you kind of missed the point of my question, if it was a conversion I want to know what was done.

A5¢, pushbroom and dustinbrock Thank this.
  7. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Good question SmokinCAT. You cannot diagnose an issue without knowing which engine it is.

dustinbrock Thanks this.
  8. Collie

Collie Guest

sure you can. its a simple loss of power if any on a cat single turbo converted or not. Hes right around normal boost. If you have owned any cat, you start with the basics which i have listed above. Doesnt not not state in original post about any codes or previous boost levels. Loss of boost is not rocket science. twins converted to single or not. At one point the truck was running at his liking. This is basic diagnosis 101 of loss of boost or power. Sounds like the op found his boost leak, wastegate issue or fuel issue anyhow, hes not coming back to the thread.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  9. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
  10. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    He never said anything about it ever running right or not so you are making assumptions here...... and the reason @SmokinCAT is asking is we need to know how the conversion was done. If you think you can just take off twins and put on a single and your good to go, you are mistaken.

You talk about starting with the basics, well it seems in this case that the basics would be to ask how his conversion was done then go from there.... if you have owned any cat (as you said) you would know this.

11. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    So now that we got that out of the way, can you give us some more information about the engine, so someone can help you with your problem, unitertransport972? You may not have an air leak at all, as there are many things that are easier to check. Additional information about any work that has been done recently would be great to know.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.