Caution in bad weather

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Bakerman, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    People really need to learn how to drive SAFELY in poor weather conditions... It can be, and is, done all over the northern hemisphere each and every winter.[/QUOTE]
    California is exempt from Northern hemisphere.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Lol... That's so funny even my wife laughed!

4. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Like @Cattleman84, if I shut down for that little snow I'd go broke. It is completely possible to travel safely at a good rate speed in snow like that. I take a hit on my fuel mileage to run siped, snow specific tires on my trucks and that helps a ton.

5. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I'd rather run in 6 to 12 inches of fresh snow than on 1/4 inch of ice...

Guys will run on ice all winter like it is nothing, but as soon as the snow covers the asphalt they think its too dangerous to be driving.

Fresh snow adds traction, if its over 6 inches deep it will also help with stability in curves.

6. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    Theres drivers who are really great at running through trouble, and theres drivers trying to learn how. And others smart enough to park it if its beyond their capabilities. And others not so smart, sitting in the ditch or in an accident aftermath.

Instead of squawking on your radio with crap like "ain't ya ever seen a little (snow, rain, wind, hail, mud, fog, tornado, hurricane, whatever), and then trying to be that jerk riding their ### or passing everyone else through the crap to prove how expert you are, hows about teaching one or two newish drivers just how to do it?

Gives the expert a productive, safe way to show off their expertise and make the roads safer.

7. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I agree... However, I dont have the foggiest as how to go about teaching someone to run in crap conditions. I myself grew up driving in such conditions for fun... And I screwed up alot, got stuck alot, even had a few near catastropies, and learned alot that way. But I'm not about to recommend that others attempt to learn like I did... It was stupid, reckless, and dangerous.

The only thing I can tell someone is... If you never try it, you will never learn. That said, I'll add that You can't eat a whole apple in one bite, but one bite to big can kill you.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Running state routes instead of interstate? How the heck can you watch Netflix and TikTok? Why even have a smartphone?

9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Simple. Speed and following distance and keep your eyes down the road.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  10. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Mother Nature.
    Teaching drivers how..One storm at a time.

tommymonza, mjd4277, Numb and 3 others Thank this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Slick roads 101
    @Hammer166 can you post a link to your write up on winter driving?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.