CB Blues

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Rob_Lane, May 4, 2020.

1. Rob_Lane

Rob_Lane Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Muscle Shoals Alabama
    I’m in a 1998 379 peterbilt and have been for a while. Everything overhead concerning cb has been gutted and the only electronic wiring is for the AM/FM radio and speakers. I stripped all this out myself. All the old coax is gone and all that’s left is the air lines to open and close the passenger window and the air lines for the horn. Very bottom tucked way back into the crevis along the width of the truck is the wiring for the marker lights and that’s it. I’ve tried everything from 9’ to 18’ coax comboed with ever kinda antenna you can name. Connex 3300hp-zx all the way down to tweeted and peaked 29 ltd. now im pushing a brand new barefoot 25 through cophased K40 20,000. I can’t get out no further than probably a 1/4 mile and recievevabout the same or less. I’ve check ground RF and electrical. Got two brand new 3-way mirror moi ya with them fat heavy duty connectors and the K40s are perched dead level vertical and 108” apart

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Did you happen to buy your new co-phase coax from a truck stop? If you did, that could be part of the problem.

4. Rob_Lane

Rob_Lane Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Muscle Shoals Alabama
    No sir. My dad makes all our coax too to bottom. Never had any kinds a problems with the coax. I tell you I’m at a complete loss. And to add... my dad an old school ham radio operator. Back since the early 60’s.

5. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Well if the radio is putting out and your coax is good, it has to be the antennas.

6. Rob_Lane

Rob_Lane Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Muscle Shoals Alabama
    That’s what one would think. But after fire sticks and Wilson’s all the way down to the cheap roadpro helicoil and back up to the K40 I’m thinking something else. Usually all I can hear through any the radios I’ve used is the rf static you get when you back the squelch way down. The only thing I haven’t tried is a handheld. This is insane.

7. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Have you added any copper strap bonding from the mirrors to doors to frame?

8. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    How tall are the antennas you been trying? If they are less than 7' tall, then thats going to be your problem... 2', 3', antennas will work...but your not going to get any distance with them.

9. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017

Does your dad own or know someone with an antenna analyzer? It sure sounds like an RF ground issue, which is very common on trucks.

10. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    A great and useful website about antennas is

k0bg.com

It may help you. Also the best antenna I've used on this 378 Pete that I drive, was the Hustler
    FG27S center load antenna.

11. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    Let's start troubleshooting from the beginning. So what is your SWR reading using an external meter?

51.50 and iron horse 128 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.