CB Ground

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by CulliganMan, May 27, 2019.

1. CulliganMan

CulliganMan Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2008
    North Jersey
    Hello, I'm looking to run a ground wire to my CB antenna on my 2019 Cascadia. Do I need to run the wire to the frame, or can I run it to the ground side of the battery? It would be a lot quicker to run to the battery then to the frame as I would need to wire-brush and find a large enough fitting to get over the large bolts that are on the frame. Forget about drilling a smaller hole for a smaller fitting in the frame as we all know how tough these frames are.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    If your running a ground wire from the antenna, i'm assuming you mean from the antenna bracket, and not the antenna itself...Needs to go to frame...NOT the negative side of the battery...Battery hook-ups are for electrical connections...

would also be better to use flat ground braid, and not round electrical wire for the ground.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    shogun Thanks this.
  4. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    You can also hook up the ground under the dash by the pedals somewhere away from the elements.

5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Multiple short braided ground wires.
    Bracket to hinge
    Hinge to body
    Body to frame

QuietStorm and flood Thank this.
  6. CulliganMan

Jul 14, 2008
    North Jersey
    Thanks Jesse James... I replied to you on the other forum too...

I'll have to check that and see if the ground is good there. This would be better then trying to grab ground from the frame. Thanks a lot...

7. CulliganMan

Jul 14, 2008
    North Jersey
    I'm using one stranded 72" piece of wire that is 4 gauge. Everything is plastic or fiberglass on this truck. Thanks

8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The body of the truck is made out of steel. With a 72 inch piece of wire you're going to have some nasty common mode current because that wire is going to turn into a radiator. If a magnet sticks to your door then the door is made out of steel. I know the Freightliner Cascadia is that I drive are all made out of steel. The only fiberglass is the roof of the truck and the hood of the truck.

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  9. CulliganMan

Jul 14, 2008
    North Jersey
    The body of the truck is all fiberglass. there is no metal or aluminum in the hood or cab at all. Are you talking about the frame?

10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    You did say you're driving a Freightliner Cascadia right? The largest metal mass will always be the body if the body is made out of metal which every Cascadia I've ever seen has been made out of steel.

11. CulliganMan

Jul 14, 2008
    North Jersey
    Yes, a 2019.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.