CB intermittently always receiving. No sound

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by JC1971, Apr 10, 2018.

1. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I just had a Cobra 29 installed in a new Kenworth T680. The CB display says Receiving constantly, but only hearing silence. After awhile, at a random time, the Receiving message on the display will disappear and the CB will start working again.

Today, it wasn't working most of the day, fueled at the Petro, started the engine, and it was working. Pulled around to the main building, went inside, came out, started the engine, and back to the constant Receiving message on the display and silence(no static when squelch turned down all the way). Anyone else ever had this problem?

I was thinking maybe it needed a double-shielded antenna cable but it works fine intermittently.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    If only there was a section just for CBs.

JC1971 Thanks this.
  4. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    It would help if I scrolled down the page once in awhile.

5. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I take it this is a Cobra 29LX? I have a couple of the older ones, but never seen that message before...

6. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    If you turn the squelch knob clockwise until static goes away the receiving msg will go away, that is normal, with the receiving word displaying you should hear static. You may want to turn squelch all the to the left ( counter clockwise) and if you dont hear any static check your microphone connection, 29's will not receive unless mic is hooked up properly. Sometimes when I change to different mic I have to move it up an down a little, then tighten, to hear static.

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  7. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    Simple question, not meant to imply stupidity but do you have the RF gain knob turned all the way clockwise ?

8. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    On one of my 29's I just couldnt get any mic to work properly so I took a thin blade and stuck it in the middle of each prong on the radios mic connection just to spread them open a little bit so each microphone would fit securely, probably not the best way to remedy problem but it worked. Anyone else try another solution when a mic just feels too loose when you connect it to the radio ? Im all ears.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.