CB Issues

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by evan_nugget, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You all have to think about it this way, an antenna is a circuit, it is just like many filter circuits where there is a capacitance and resistance to build a filter,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Dont know why mine is off but last time i checked a few weeks ago it was almost perfect on 19..Hopefully i just gotta clean some connections cause the steel lock screws in my 10" alumium shaft have siezed,so must be crap in there somewhere..Clean my braided strap connect points to..
    Anyways just to show resonance changes with freq..

Attached Files:

4. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    This was my last test ages ago..

Attached Files:

5. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Some cleaning and fresh straps and try again..

Attached Files:

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The antenna part that sticks up into the air is only half of the "system". A good "ground" is also important. You can think of it like AC electrical current in a way.

What the antenna is mounted to is also part of it it. Especially any flat/horizontal metal areas adjacent to the antenna. Like the flat lid of your toolbox, the lid conducting to the tool box, the toolbox connecting to the bed of the truck, and the bed connecting to the cab of the truck.

Some people go the the extreem and ground the frame and exhaust as well. I'm sure it helps to some extent, but it's akin to running down a rabbit hole.

I would initially think it would be a coax issue. You antenna looks new and the coax, while not the best, shouldn't be an issue just yet. You have to rely pinch it a couple of times to break it.

If you have some junk wire laying around I would try to make sure you hav somewhat of a reliable connection from your tool box lid and between the tool box to the bed, and from the bed to the cab. That should be a cheap and easy test.

Radio frequency prefers more surface area so flat braded wire or flat ground straps are better
    But at this point I dont think you need to there. Just any wire you have laying around to connect the top of your tool box to the frame of the tool box, and then the box to the bed, and the bed to the cab, should be enough to see if that is the issue. Just the lid to the box and the box to the bed should be enough to tell.

7. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    So.....Did some clean up on ant mount,changed braided straps on my door hinges and tadddaaaaaa

So folks,your not always gonna know just by swr if your system is outta wack for any reason....
    I knew cause it seemed like i wasnt rec as well as normal..Sometimes its conditions to but i grabbed my analyzer and saw my system was off..
    Between my analyzer and multimeter if found out i had a crap build up as you see in my pics....So every so often guys,giver a clean..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  8. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

I didn't mean to put you to work on your antenna system...LOL. That's an awesome analyzer too. It sure beats my old mfj 259 that only shows swr and impedance.

9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Naw night stalker,i was noticeing a range diff and just didnt seem to have the ears....
    I dont reload till tomoorow so i got to thinkin i should see why my #'s were off,be it the lot i was in or something else..I tested yesterday and saw my #'s and wasnt happy..Seeing im not loading till tomorrow and had a wide open spot at the flyin j here in london,ill test and see...Yeap its my set up not where i was parked so i got into it..Needed to anyways..

10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada

Not used my 259b in for ever but it tells alot more but you have to interpret it...
    Its nicer in ways but feels a lil ole analogish vs the rig expert made outta plastic and all digital...
    About $250 ish for the aa35 zoom which does the cb band....The more options and freqs you wanna play in will take more from the tickle trunk ya got stashed behind the fake wall of your mancave...

Night Stalker10 Thanks this.
  11. 2nycess88

2nycess88 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Need some help I been to 3 shops and nobody came seem to figure out wants the problem I have a galaxy 99v with the rf gain turned up the set need will flick to the right until I key the mic but if u turn the rf gain down she will not do it it’s like I got the mic keyed and can’t hear them until I click the mic I have a video

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.