CB on a budget

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by outlaw_kingz, Mar 27, 2023.

1. The Green Mountain

The Green Mountain Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2022
    Maine
    I almost feel like you're a guy I'd have seen staring in awe at the tube amp stereos on display at Montgomery Ward... back when both were a thing.

And I'd have walked up (not a salesman) and said "####in' cool, right?"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The Green Mountain and ducnut Thank this.
  4. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Lol... Ya you might be right. Good ol Montgomery wards. Besides being able to save up 2 to 3 months rent as a single young man, and buying a president Madison base station, I think the next exciting purchase I made, was an old 12 inch tv (I bought from a pawn shop for $75), that had a remote control. Watching the TV channel selector turn in circles, was pretty cool. The motor and mechanical gears were noisy, but I didn't care ,because I didn't have to get out of my chair to change the channels (all 3 stations) anymore. Ya baby!!!!

The Green Mountain and ducnut Thank this.
  5. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    That looks really nice. I noticed the chat with the salesman asking if I needed help finding this product on their website. The first thing I thought of was no, but I could use some help finding the money to buy your product. Ha.

ducnut and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  6. rezahodgen02

rezahodgen02 Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2022
    It can be tough to balance the desire for high-quality equipment with the reality of a limited budget. Have you considered checking out some of the more affordable CB setups that still offer decent performance? I'm sure you can find something that fits your needs and your wallet. Additionally, if you're looking to save some money and keep better track of your finances, you might find it helpful to try a free budgeting app such as MoneyPatrol. It can help you keep track of your spending and identify areas where you might be overspending, so you can cut back and save up for the CB setup you want. It's definitely worth checking out if you're serious about sticking to a budget and making the most of your money.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What do you define as high-quality equipment?

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. HogazWild

HogazWild Light Load Member

May 18, 2022
    I have a tuned 17W 520 I bought from Bells for around $90. A 1000 ohm mic and 1.2SWR on 19 and you'll do better than a lot of $800 camper cb shop radios. It has NB and RF gain. Only thing I wish it had was mic gain so I could use a dynamic/600ohm mic.

You can get 2W dead key and add a amp later

Truth is: Most people with expensive radios have wrong mic resistance, SWR, and EMI that negates the 70W+ swing their finals can do. That's if it's even aligned and not over or under modulating

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  9. Dexterr

Dexterr Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Lafourche parish
    The mics I’m
    file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/33/03/8DE07A49-A239-4145-9A33-BC76BD34959B/IMG_0351.heic

image.jpg

10. Dexterr

Dexterr Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Lafourche parish
    image.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.