Cb radio install issue

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Razrburn, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Razrburn

Razrburn Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2018
    Some time ago on my old 01 f250 7.3 diesel. I installed my first cb radio(cobra 19 dx III) used from eBay and it came with a 3ft magnetic antenna. Installed it and it had terrible range and a large amount of interference coming from the engine. And it basically sat unused as nearly every thing was mixed with static.
    A year or two has gone by since my trucks install and my wife's Jeep came with a cb radio and a tiny ant forget the model radio. Anyways comparing the two I knew the one in my truck had some big issues. After a bit of attempts to fix my issues. My trucks setup is better then the beginning but far from perfect

I've since bought a new 4ft dual antenna, cable, tow mirror mounts(not spaced at properly at 102" but at 84" ) and a new microphone. Other then that no mods that I'm aware of to the cb.

Switching the antennas from the original I definitely can receive much better.
    But in testing my swr seems to high. I can't seem to find a good open area to really goto and do a accurate swr check. But in a area with RVs, trees, and mobile homes. My swr is around 3 on 1&40 with the truck off.
    Any excess wire is in a figure 8 about a foot long(swr went from 4 to now 3)

Both antennas mounts are grounded to body, antennas are properly isolated from grounded mounts, radio chassis is grounded to dash.(swr stayed at 3)

As for powering the radio ive added and since removed a audio power filter to try and remove what I think is alternator noise, can't hear it during idle or coasting.
    Even went as far to hook the radio to a entirely isolated battery.
    Both the isolated battery and power filter had no detectable effects.

I'm starting to run short on ways to resolve my issues, any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Get a different radio....

Cobra 19's have little if any filtering (compared to something like the Cobra 29's) which is one reason they are cheap...

"IF" you need a small radio because of room issues, the Uniden 520XL is a much better radio, I have one mounted in the dash of my Toyota Tacoma and it has little to no noise from the motor and decent receive...Biggest problem I have is with channel rejection...These small radios just don't have that good of filtering so when someone is close by talking on a different channel, they tend to bleed all over the band on these small radios...

I never had the Cobra 19 III, but have had the 19plus, and 19IV and couldn't stand them.

Right now like I said I'm running the Uniden 520 and also have a 1x2 amp behind it, with my Predator 10K antenna on top and can talk and receive well over 10 miles easy, even in the City.

One more word of advice...Don't buy used radios off eBay, UNLESS your also willing to occasionally get burned! Sometimes you get a good deal, other times you just inherit someone else's problems... I bought a used Uniden 520xl last year off ebay for $15 thinking I got a good deal, and it looked nice when I un-boxed it, but all the knobs are hard to turn, and it sounds all distorted...so it's sitting on a shelf out in the shed now...Would cost too much to try and send back(more than what I'm willing to pay anyway) and for what it would cost to have someone go threw it and fix it right, I may as well just buy a new one. (which is what I ended up doing)

4. Razrburn

Razrburn Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2018
    I was just starting to think the radio was messed up too. But I wasn't ready to call it out until I had at least some else besides me calling it out as a likely defective unit

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  5. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    If your coax is good and your mounts aren't grounded out, you have a RF ground issue. Not the same as a simple electrical ground. 4ft antennas are just barely adequate. Longer is better. I'll bet if you put two Francis 5x5 antennas, or any 5-6 ft antenna, on you would see an improvement. Two 102" whips, even more improvement. Antenna length will overcome a bad rf ground to some extent. So what do you do? Bond. Short ground straps (less than 18") braided is preferred, the wider the better, but an old coax braid will mostly likely do the job. Just solder the braid along with the center conductor to your terminal and use the whole thing. I'd start by strapping from the door to the body, and checking it. If still not where you want it then either mirror arm to door (this is usually OK if your arms are metal) or body to frame, or do both. Remember, short runs and braided straps are best. Check your swr with each change. GM cabs are bonded well to the frame, I don't know about Ford. If it was GM I'd say bonding the door good to the body will solve your problem, providing the mirror arm is all metal. So that is where I would start.

P.S. I concur with JJD's comments about the radio. But a better radio won't change your SWR.

slim6596 and jessejamesdallas Thank this.
  6. Razrburn

Razrburn Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2018

7. Razrburn

Razrburn Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2018
    Mike my antennas mounts are properly grounded... Sorry it's in that first long detailed post..

8. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Sorry, but i can't help but wonder if you even read what I wrote??????

9. Razrburn

Razrburn Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2018
    I went with 4ft antennas to not rip the mirrors off at a McDonald's drive through. I gave up on using a parking garage with it. I just dumped some cash on a new cobra 29lxbt, I'm at the ends on getting my old cobra working well with the truck. I may actually bump the old cb over to a travel trailer. Nice to know if it's worth hitting the road. Without leaving the bed. Plus I won't have to deal with alternator whine in there.

10. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    A new radio won't make your swr go down. You need to do some bonding like I explained above.

11. Razrburn

Razrburn Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2018
    I have already...... I seriously think it's a bad radio the antenna it shipped with had terrible reception for it's size, plus my issues wasn't just swr. Had a 1ft antenna on another cb radio that out preformed the 3 ft antenna that shipped with the cb I'm replacing. I figuring the cb radio was damaged from the original seller using it with a terrible swr. I probably transmitted from it 5x5 seconds each in a year. Or maybe something else
    These cb radios really take a pounding during a life cycle. Heat and cold cycles can create microcracking of the solder joints, internal tuning pots can corrode and change values. A radio doesn't usually last forever. If the new radio has swr issues I'll probably run it to a cb installer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.