Cb radio install issue

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Razrburn, Apr 7, 2018.

1. nblogger26

nblogger26 Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2018
    Switch to the Uniden. They can get just as far as the cobra 29 if mounted properly. Use little Unidens in all the pulp loaders and they work great.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Radios don't have swr problems, antennas and coax does..

rabbiporkchop and slim6596 Thank this.
  4. Razrburn

Razrburn Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2018
    I definitely did check those out. I have used a uniden marine vhf in the past, which I never had issues with. In the Jeep I have a cobra 75 wx st, it's a nice little radio. A new 50$(19 dx) cb radio really must be barebones the cost to make ship box. It wouldnt surprise me. If the engineer designed it then was tasked on making it cheaper. Dropping some rf shielding. Seems like a likely option.

5. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Well let us know how it goes.

6. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I'm running a Cobra 19 DX IV in my ole '96 F250 diesel that I use for hauling a travel trailer around the country. I've had lots of luck with this radio and a couple of other compacts in my vehicles.

On my F250, I plop in the middle of the roof a mag-mounted Wilson 1000 antenna with a 62-inch whip. The SWRs are good without any trimming. I can communicate very well with the big trucks up-and-down the Interstates.

By the way, I'm lucky because I get no interference from my Ford even though the little radio is powered through one of the factory's 12-volt ports.

7. Razrburn

Razrburn Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2018
    I tried the 3' magnetic mount that came with it, but it was unusable ,I swapped coax and antennas for a dual 4' sirio antenna setup.

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I'd be double-checking and triple checking grounds. Just because the mount is grounded to the body, doesn't mean the body is grounded to the fender.

mike5511 and jessejamesdallas Thank this.
  9. Razrburn

Razrburn Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2018
    When I get the new unit installed, I'll continue messing with it. Two entirely different antenna systems with Same truck and same radio. Same interference and high swr.

10. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    Please stop messing with your setup and identify what you currently have. Sorry to be so blunt but trying to follow this thread is extremely difficult when you keep changing equipment for what appears to be no logical reason.
    .What vehicle are you using? The diesel pickup, jeep or something else? Which radio are you now using? I Hope you are using only one antenna because that is much more simple to trouble shoot on this message board? Using an external SWR meter, what is your Swr reading on 1, 19 and 40?
    .Once we know what the C B radio setup is and the Swr readings we can point you in the right direction.
    .Okay lets start to diagnosis one problem at a time.

mike5511 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  11. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Explain how your mounts are grounded..Post a pic..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.