Cb radio install issue

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Razrburn, Apr 7, 2018.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    The only thing that the radio has to do with awr is to produce a signal..Other than that it has NOTING to do with antenna tuneing or performance..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Or swr either.......!:eek:

4. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Yeah, I'd never heard of anyone improving an antenna's SWR by changing the radio, unless the person is reading the SWR values from the radios' internal SWR meters, in which case the readings are questionable anyway.

5. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I ment swr....#### phone typeing screen..I always put in a wrong letter somewhere..

6. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    We all knew what you meant.
    Being retired and all, and having sympathy for you ol' boys still out there among em', I was just trying to bring a little humor to your day!.........Really, I just had me one of those "smart ###" moments and couldn't resist! ...lol .....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  7. slim6596

slim6596 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Favorite quote from one of my favorite books

“Are you always a wisea**?
    “Nope. Sometimes, I’m asleep.”

mike5511 Thanks this.
  8. Razrburn

Razrburn Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2018
    I wish I could add something useful to the swr issue but same antennas, and coax. Different radio, slightly different mounting location. My guess the different coax running location and location or rfi from the engine. I added two ground straps one driver one passenger side cab to bed today. Then fell short on time and screws this weekend. The grounding drastically reduced idle rfi noise. But left some, but under power I still get nearly as much rfi as before. I played around for like 2 hours with a cheap am radio from eBay looking for rfi which didn't work for me. Then I used a magnetic field meter a majority of the truck is around 1mg while above the valve covers it's tossing out 20-40mg, my alternator is only kicking out around 3mg. I cleaned surfaces and probed around with a ground strap, holding it in various placements while my wife was reading noise meter on the cb and listening. Next weekend im going to dig into my injectors wiring harness from pictures I've seen it can be better shielded. I've had some work done at a diesel shop a few years ago to the valve cover injector connector. When I paid the bill they couldn't tell me what they fixed 100%. Maybe my engine harness is secretly butchered and unshielded. I really expected more from the alternator then 3mg I'm thinking when I shield the injectors better I'll need to retest the engine bay. Maybe the injector noises on the cb are drowning out other noises too and magnetic fields fighting and merging can probably make getting good measurements tricky with a magnetic field meter

9. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    With all that magnetic field noise coming from the valve covers, it must be the injectors and/or their wiring making an emission racket in there. The injectors are fired via electric impulses, and they may be whipping up an electromagnetic storm. Possibly some shielding there could help alright. If there are any breaks in the wiring insulation or bad connectors, maybe that would be a problem as well. Good luck in your quest!

When diesels were run with mechanical injectors they had a big RF advantage over gasoline engines with their RF emitting spark plugs and all the related wiring apparatus. Modern diesels with electric-fired injectors, not so much.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dude, stop guessing.

Go here and read the article. Pretty good fix that works.

HF RF Noise mobile Powerstroke Diesel Ford

11. Razrburn

Razrburn Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2018
    Ridgeline, I can't put my antennas in the bed it'll interfere with towing and ideal directional preformance of the antennas . Nearly everyone does that and ideally that is the spot for it as far as rfi is concerned. Alot of hams do that as well as nearly every ford non oem crank position sensor is very sensitive to reciving rfi one ham guys truck would turn off if he keyed the mic. Another guy's truck shut off next to a radio tower and dragged further away started right up. I already added 10ft of grounding straps grounding half of the items in the list. I have more ground straps and I'm going to try a giant ferrite toroid to the power leads of the cb. In my experience so far 1/4 the information Ive found or has been provided has actually made the noise worse or no change. By me taking a few guesses it's cheaper then the cab shop guessing around. In my searching i found a guy that claimed to have spent 1000$ at several cb shops to fix engine noise. Honestly I'd probably be in the same boat on cost. Im expecting a large improvement when i mess with the injector harness, its in my list for the weekend as it's not a quick fix. I was going to add a additional ground strap from driver's side valve cover to the idm(injector control module) which is also driver's side fender I hear it helps alot. After just discovering the hidden location of the idm
    I'll also probably test a rerouted power run through the passenger side battery and check if that works out better. The noise does come from the radio without coax hooked up and previously a isolated battery test, with a no ground plane antenna. In the isolated battery test I also had the radios power wires run near the idm . The idm likely has been the root cause of a majority of my problems all along. As nearly everything else is under the hood and has a fairady cage like shielding made of various body panels but the idm is nearly unshielded to the interior fuse box area. After adding half the straps I can faintly now detect the fuel pump but it only makes 5-10% of the total noise produced. I may mess with that at a later date as I have some upgrades planned in the fuel supply end any ways.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.