CB radio use?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by guest writer, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Medevac69

Medevac69 Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Back in the early 90's, I used to talk w/ drivers all night driving between TX & NC & vice versa when I was in the Army. I think I was on a CB more than I had the regular AM/FM/Cassette going. Met lots of good people, had coffee with them, shared stories & as someone else said, it was a great way to help stay awake.

In 2006, my wife & I got stuck on I-40 in Moriarty, NM due to snow, in my pickup. If it weren't for the CB radio, we might not have made it through those 11 hours & I know a little girl who needed an inhaler that day was helped by the CB.

I really hate that CB radios now are only used as a backup radio; only turned on or used when there's a backup! Just in the last 6 months, I wish I had a dime for all the drivers I've tried to inform about missing clearance lights, headlights, trailer lights or even just about weigh stations & troopers with no response. Kinda makes a lonely trip more lonesome.

jammer910Z and JReding Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    I've pretty much had one on full time since the 70's. In the truck, in the cars, pickup and even farm tractors, except for power outages my good old Robyn SB-520 and heathkit 2kw amp has never been turned off in the house. Come to think of it, the DAK Mark X in the garage hasn't ever been shut down either. It's a way of life where I'm from, we don't text or phone neighbors. Not many of us left these days.

OLDSKOOLERnWV and Medevac69 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.