CB shop white list.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Carolina Thunder, Oct 15, 2009.

1. slowride67

slowride67 Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Southington,CT
    Not too familiar with K40's but if basic steel whip antenna start with whip all the way down into base move up 1/4 inch at a time. If you go up about half way to set screw and no change or worse SWR reading must start trimming whip only in 1/8 inch increments at a time and start from bottom each time you cut. If SWR goes up when you move the whip up you have to cut. Meaning once you cut 1/8 inch off of whip place whip all the way to the bottom of the base and move whip and check SWR with each move. Use a meter not the one on the radio not accurate,can get one at any truck stop for about 15 dollars. Be careful not to cut off too much or will need to buy new whip, and no need to pay someone to do it for you it's really easy just take your time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    It does sound like the coax (or something else) might be bad. When you say almost in the red, do you have a number? Are you pretty sure you know how to use a swr meter? Don't cut the whip, if the swr is higher on 1 than on 40, it's already too short.

handlebar Thanks this.
  4. dtbradio

dtbradio Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2010
    If you dont see any significant shift in SWR from just moving the whip, DO NOT CUT!!! You NEED to have someone with better SWR testing equipment check it for you. An antenna analyzer would be best, but someone with a grid-dip meter and noise bridge could also determine where its actually tuned. You need to know where its tuned now before you start to cut. That said, I will say that most of the K40's of that style that I've tuned needed to have around an inch or so trimmed off of the whip. Still, don't cut until you are SURE.

handlebar Thanks this.
  5. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

I concur with Dave & Josh. If the SWR is consistently really high all across the band, you may have a coax or connector fault. If the SWR is better (lower) on Ch 1 than it is on Ch 40, the whip is already too short.
    Did this K40 come with its own coax?
    At this point, it sounds like you need someone with better gear to tune, and possibly repair, your antenna system.
    -- Handlebar in NC --

6. Rknightpd

Rknightpd Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    College Park, GA
    Hey Guy's I appreciate everybodys response I have changrd the coax new 18' mini8 I may have a bad swr meter I just bought it though radio shack but after calibration swr's are the same 1 & 40 but they are in the red a little more than half way. Whats so funny is that the rf gain knob is about 3/4 the way up or a little better and now the background noise level is way down and the needle moves up just a little squelch all the way down. Go figure. I'm sorry about takin this thread off topic and again I appreciate everyones help.

Thanks
    Randy

7. skywire4

skywire4 Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2011
    little rock arkansas
    what happen to the cb shop that was off i-40 exit 161 that was there for 20 years.

8. skywire4

skywire4 Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2011
    little rock arkansas
  9. beer money

beer money Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Centreville al
    Clantonman1983 can you help me find Bluestreak I have a radio and need to get it fixed if you can email me @ alabamajaz@aol .com or PM me with anything you have that can help me find him Thanks

10. 269tank

269tank Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2011
    newton iowa
    yes in deed he is a awsome radio tec does very good work !!!!!

11. 269tank

269tank Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2011
    newton iowa
    i do cb mods outa my truck been doing it for over 10 yrs i am out of newton iowa and do radio mods on the road out of my truck !cb shops are over rated and ask way to much money for tune ups in fact i think they are riping u off every time u go in to one!! cb power mods and Modulation only take 10 mins to do!! i only charge $25.00 to do them when in a shop they charge around $50.00 to $100.00 to do the same thing i do! tell me why this is?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.