CB Troubleshooting Help

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by doubleA96, Jul 15, 2018.

1. doubleA96

doubleA96 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Decatur Il
    Today I got rid of my truck spec antenna and bought a Wilson 2000 trucker whip, before I get too far into what I need help with , I have a 2017 international prostar, no external mount for the antenna it’s mounted on the factory mount on top of the mirror. But no need to carry on on that, I’m having a issue with a high pitched static sound when I I try tweaking my squelch I’ve gone out and made sure the antenna is tightened down and also made sure the coax (factory coax) was tightened down along with the wiring harness being wired correctly. After all of this it’s still hitting that static, along with no reading on the swr meter. I’m at a loss so maybe someone else has an idea. And I almost forgot I got a cobra 29ltd classic. Thanks in advance for any advice

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Did this problem start after swapping antennas? Or was this the reason for trying another antenna.

4. doubleA96

doubleA96 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Decatur Il
    Well before hand my ant warning light kept lighting up so I got a new antenna thinking that one finally bit the dust but the light still comes on and now has the issue discussed above

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Again I will recommend going to a shop with an antenna analyzer and seeing what is going on.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. Tensleep440

Tensleep440 Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2018
    NE Corner of Texas
    I’m leaning towards a coax or junction box issue. Getting an analyzer on the antenna system is a must. Keep us posted

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    My guess its ground plain issue..
    Might have a bad stud to and factory cb set up is never any good..Not so much the cb itself but antenna set up...Poor coax,cheap ant studs and the duplexers between cb,stereo....

That screeching sound is likely a fridge in the trk or a inverter kinda thing..

As mentioned,get an analyzer on it or grab yourself a ohm meter and start chkin stuff out..

8. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Check this out for Ant Light, http://downloads.cobra.com/CB/Models/MiscInfo/29antlight.pdf

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.