CB Uniden Bearcat 880

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Cdyerock, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Cdyerock

Cdyerock Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Hey, Question: I've been getting different signals about this radio. I had a CB shop tell me to take it back. Lol. I've read reviews that said " good radio" read some reviews that were not too encouraging. How about it?? Any of you guys have any experience with this thing?? Appreciate some good feedback. Thx.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    The BC 880 is a good am only 40 channel cb radio, it has plenty of features like different face colors,weather,talkback,radio diagnostics check and scan. Out of the box the carrier was set at the legal 4 watts but modulation is low, probably around 50%, however there is a AMC adjustment on the board that you can get modulation level louder and in my opinion its necessary. These new line of Unidens ( 680,880,980 ) are surface mount technology, and that is probably why cb shop recommended taking it back because he is unable to perform his golden screwdriver superhack mods. The microphone is a 6 pin connector and it is compatible with the Uniden wireless mic but there is a 6 pin to 4 pin adaptor included so you can use other mics, for me the Astatic 636 sounds great but the stock mic sounds very good as well and it is noise canceling. The only issue I have with the 880 is the amount of static on the receive but it can be turned down with the rf gain control, but the receive is very good. The radio diagnostics is a benefit ( same as cobra 29 lx) it allows you to check voltage, antenna, and rf power output and the built in swr meter is pretty accurate. Overall its a pretty decent radio and when they are on sale for $79.99 ( Pilot and Loves) they are hard to beat for the price.

4. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    I'll second that CB shop. Take it back. Get the 980 instead, even if you don't think you want sideband. SSB radios have better receivers than AM-only radios.

bored silly and Cdyerock Thank this.
  5. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I jumped on the deal....79.99 and I bought at Loves so no waiting for rebate. I grabbed a wilson 18' coax and a firestick that cost as much!

I rarely use one but at that price with a power mic and the green face option I was sold!

I have tested it from out back.... to my house (handheld in house) and it worked really well. I don't think I have even turned it on out on the road yet....lol.

Cdyerock and wolverine11 Thank this.
  6. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    I have been using the BC 980 as my primary radio for over a year now ( I will occasionally switch with cobra 29) and not only is the receive better than the 880 it is better than most radios I have owned over the past 20 years or so. I know Pilot/Flying J had the 980 on sale for $99.99, so if you did want to return the 880 it would only be 20 bucks more.

Cdyerock, slim6596 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  7. SpaceMann

SpaceMann Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Check online! You can get the 980 for around $105 to $115!! ;)

8. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Smart move the new coax and. Stik alot of drivers just throw them in a truck with the factory crap. And wonder why the radio takes a poop/crap in 6TO9 MONTHS AND THEN TELL EVERYONE THOSE RADIOS SUCK----- GO FIGURE

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.