CBs in use anymore?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by MBAngel, May 25, 2018.

1. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    So, in preparation for my new job after I get out of school, I've been listening to the cb. I got a handheld one and just listened. I tried every channel and heard nothing for days... Ok, so maybe the handheld one isn't strong enough... get a "real" one....

I surfed channels asking if anyone was on them. No answers, except on channel 8... The nice gentleman who answered eventually told me it's the construction channel in my area, and it's not a good place to hang out for chat.

I heard that channel 19 was the "popular" channel, but it could also be channel 10... but there's never anyone answering...

So... where do I go to learn to talk with ppl on the cb? I'm in Arizona and travel between Tucson and Phoenix a few times a week. I just don't want to be "that guy" when I actually need to use it. Mind you, I usually travel in the evening or early morning.

Where would I get it "tuned"? I go by the TTT pretty often, do they have someone who could help me with it? It doesn't seem to have a lot of buttons for tuning. Just the squelch and volume is all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    CB use is nothing like it was in the past, but I wouldn't travel without one. Your channel 19 will come alive when there's a traffic backup, etc.

A handheld can be OK until you can get a real mobile unit. If Im restricted to handheld i will connect the handheld to an external antenna. The rubber ducky antennas really suck

You'll get a lot of answers to this post so I'll just leave it at that

MBAngel Thanks this.
  4. MBAngel

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    I hope I get lots of responses :)
    I just thought that at 3 am, there might be a driver or two who'd wanna chat to stay awake.

5. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Very few drivers chat at 300am to aliviate the boredom of the drive ( sirrius/xm) most just use it as a business tool ( shippers, receivers, traffic reports etc.) When needed, that being said channel 19 is the unofficial " truckers channel" and In sure traveling I 10 east and west in AZ during busy times there should be alot of airwave chatter, if anything from the multiple wash and shine places ( " if it doesnt shine you dont spend a dime") . For starters I would look at a Cobra 29 and resist the urge to get it peaked and tuned, it should work just fine stock out of the box with a good antenna setup. Google cb swr setting and learn how to check it and adjust it and you are good to go.

MBAngel Thanks this.
  6. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Right now skip is rolling ( long range transmission 500 to 3000 miles) scan the band with your handheld and see if you receive anyone, you should be able to hear cbers on 6,11,15,19,28,just to name a few channels, if you dont then little hand held probably isnt receiving too good.

7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I’m self-taught in CB lingo. Add my own flair..Other drivers don’t like my chat.

MBAngel Thanks this.
  8. MBAngel

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    oh my, that seems a bit complicated, lol. (the swr thing) Thank you for the reply :)

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The biggest thing is the antenna. The "tune ups" are usually a trade off between "loudness" and range. A better antenna will be the most bang for the buck. But i'd wait until you are in a truck, just to be frugal about it.

I'd say you are off to a good start. We need more people like you on the radio, it is dying. :( The SWR thing does help. It's isn't as bad as it sounds!

rabbiporkchop, MBAngel and wolverine11 Thank this.
  10. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    CB use is in decline. I believe it's a combination of the newer trucks not having as much exterior sheet metal, which is required for most mobile antennas to work properly. Without it, you end up with swr issues.

That and the fact we are on the downhill of skip cycle 24, which it was difficult some days to get a word out. Skip hasn't been as active lately, but I can see how it would've caused anyone trying to talk locally, to turn off their radio.

11. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Yeah well you might want to stop starting of with " hey good buddy "

MBAngel and IluvCATS Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.