CDL and Class C

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by CNtempest, Sep 23, 2018.

1. CNtempest

CNtempest Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2018
    This is probably a very stupid question but I've honestly gotten a few mixed answers when I've asked smaller forums, but do you have to have a class C to actually start working either local or OTR. It seems almost all of the major carriers require at least a year/year and a half, but some companies are vague, they just want you to have a license and a good record they don't specify what kind of license, like for me I have had a class M for 5 years ever since I was been 19 and never really cared much for driving a car since motorcycles are cheaper with my salary. Some people say they've hardly sat in a car but have their driver's license and then went immediately into a career as a truck driver, others say it isn't necessary because you'll pick up horrible habit from driving a car. What kind of companies can I look into or companies that might not require a Class C or at least someone who hasn't had it for a year yet.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    I'm not sure, but I have a feeling you will have a very difficult time finding anyone who will work with you without at least a Class C driver's license. I say you first and foremost make sure you have that class C in your pocket be it for 2 weeks or 2 decades. Your CDL chase likely come to an abrupt halt here without that regular class C.

4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I have heard it both ways. You need a class c and it doesn't matter. Best for you to call the school you are looking at and maybe a few starter companies like Swift or Schneider and ask them.

Expeditor Thanks this.
  5. CNtempest

CNtempest Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Thank you guys, I'm a month away from taking my class C test. it seems most of the smaller companies that I look into require you to have your Class C but that's just to have it, doesn't say anything about needing to have it for years. I hope my current DMV record that companies want clean for a few years will suffice instead of needing to rack up a Class C DMV record. Roehl Transport seems to be where I want to end up. They mainly work east coast and a contract for 15 months after you get trained by them which is fine by me. Local is where I want to end up and all local places require a year or 2 of experience it seems. so 15 months with Roehl is good way to get experience.

6. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    They mostly want to see what kind of a maniac you been on a motorcycle , heck if you still living you be fresh meat for a seat, just pick the color of truck and go at it since most of them megas run the same.

7. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
    When I went to CR England over 12 years ago, the first day of class they toot 2 guys fresh off the plane from Somolia to get their drivers licenses. Neither could pass their CDL exam.

8. CNtempest

CNtempest Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Surprisingly enough Not a maniac at all. thank god I chose a sport bike that didn't have that sport bike power. only been pulled over and given warnings twice in 4-5 years i've owned it. I also have a question to ask, if most major carriers want 1-2 years with a driver's license but at the same time want 5-7 years clean DMV record how is that possible if you've only been driving for a year or 2?

9. CNtempest

CNtempest Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2018
    cdl exam as in their permit or the actual license exam. if it's the permit exam i'm going to be getting it and a few endorsements before I apply for Roehl's school. I know some endorsements take weeks to finalize so that will give me a little more time with my driver's license.

10. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
  11. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    You will find that in most states, if not all by now, you must have a valid class C license before applying for your CDL permit. Check with your home state to see what their requirements are. Example, the Pennsylvania CDL manual says that you must first be licensed as a non-commercial driver prior to obtaining a CDL permit. They do not say if it must be a class C or if there is any period of time prior to obtaining the CDL permit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.