CDL and employment without high school

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by V8power, Dec 23, 2012.

1. The Big T

The Big T Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    So are you paying for your own truckin' school (which I'd highly recommend) or company sponsored training (not a good idea, desperate/last resort). And please make sure you understand wherever you go, that this is a hard industry that has changed not for the better since your grandpa was doing it. It is physically and mentally taxing. Don't get me wrong, there's awesome days where you roll down the highway with the wind in your hair feeling like a movie star. But they're are days where you haven't slept much and pushed beyond limits you didn't know you had.Traffic has multiplied by ten with an infrastructure that hasn't been able to keep up. And many other things you'll find out in time that do not make this job as cool as it once was.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ph5120

Ph5120 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Well I'm just sniffing around right now but I would need financial help if I would consider trucking .
    I guess I am desperate and getting close to a last resort.
    You ever work in large scale construction?
    I can't imagine truck driving being anywhere in the same category as what I've done over a 40 year period.
    I can't remember how many times I ate my supper for breakfast because I was to tired to eat at the end of the day.
    I understand trucking being frustrating. But isn't most jobs?
    It's life in general?

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try these that have their own cdl school:
    Contract Freighters Inc.
    Celadon
    Titan Transfer
    Veriha Trucking
    Carter Express

Are you overweight? If so, some companies may want a sleep apnea check.

5. The Big T

Jan 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Oh yes. Spent most of my early 20s in commercial and residential excavation. Up where I live things would always slow as it got cold and the ground started to freeze. That's how I gravitated towards trucking (though I got my truckers license at 18). Thought it would be decent and easy. Ya know pick load up... Drop load off. But once I came out here, I discovered there were Sooooo many more factors then I ever thought would be involved. I truly wish you good luck on this journey
    But be sure to read plenty and listen to nice folks like @Chinatown. He'll give you some great options available to you.

6. Ph5120

Ph5120 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Do these companies offer financial help or paid training?

No I am not heavy.
    I am short 5 foot 4 inches and 130 pounds with 0 body fat.
    I am on PA Medicaid and under a doctors care .
    I only have thyroid disease which is stable on thyroid med's.
    I also have a slight stigmatism which is corrected with eye glasses.
    Other than that I am in excellent health.
    Thanks for the info.
    I'll look into these companies..

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Ph5120

Ph5120 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I have been reading the PA CDL handbook for getting your permit.
    Most of it is common sense about being safe.
    Also reading about schools that offer paid training.
    If I could borrow the money I would to pay myself but in my situation I would need help.

8. The Big T

Jan 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Totally understand. Just be very careful with whom you choose for company sponsered training. They're all..not great. But it will be an entrance and you'll be an indentured servant for about a year. Take your time with your choice and try to determine what you can deal with that will be most conducive to your life. Take your time...it's a big descion.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, they will provide transportation to get to the school and once there, provide lodging and meals.

10. Ph5120

Ph5120 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I'm going to make some phone calls in a few weeks but won't make any commitment till at least next year and not till I learn as much as I can about these schools.
    I have read that you may have to work for the company that trained you but that's reasonable if they front me the price of tuition.
    Thanks again for the advice.
    I'm sure I'll be back for more questions soon.
    Take it easy~

11. Ph5120

Ph5120 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Should I go to one of those CDL schools first like "roadmaster" ?
    Sounds a little too good to be true.
    Why would a trucking company hire someone my age with no experience and no income?
    I am sure my credit is not good either.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.