CDL B vs HVAC?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by kyle987, Dec 4, 2017.

1. kyle987

kyle987 Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2017
    I know I'll probably get a biased answer asking this here, but I've been searching this forum for a while and you guys a pretty active and helpful. This ended up being longer than expected...

I got laid off and nothing good is going on in my life. I'm 30, my last job was maintenance, before that it was sales/customer service for 10 years. I've been considering getting my CDL B because a CDL job will always be available, it won't take a long time to get the CDL and get a job, and I could possibly move somewhere else. I have a few months of experience driving a non cdl straight truck, it was a water delivery truck(jug water). I haven't driven a standard since the beginning of time so I'll have to learn that again.

I've been most interested in doing propane delivery with a bobtail truck. I know most places require more driving experience, but I have found a couple local companies that hire new drivers. I don't mind working a different cdl job to get the experience either. If I got into propane delivery, that might get me interested in getting a CDL A down the road, and then I could do local gas or something.

I've also thought about HVAC/refrigeration, not really interested in this but I've thought about it. My mom keeps saying HVAC cause my dad does it, but I'm not interested. I took a job offer for refrigeration but after thinking about it more and going through the book, it doesn't look like something I want to do. I start at $13.00 and have to do a lot of training and schooling. I'm thinking I'll just stay with my 2 part time jobs, save money for the CDL and get it. What do you all think about the 2 career choices?

Also, I have a bad knee and had surgery for it, my dad whos done HVAC for 30 years told me it would probably be too hard on my body. A lot of what I've read says its really hard on your body.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Reason for edit: adding to post
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slickWillie1980

slickWillie1980 Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    By trade I'm a refrigeration man but on my spare time/weekends I pull a hopper for various farmers in my area. I'm making in the mid 20s an hour and looking at the megas and what they pay there is more money in refrigeration

Mike2633 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    HVAC hands down dude.It's a trade. Anybody can drive a truck.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. kyle987

kyle987 Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2017
    How is it? I'm looking through the book and it looks like a lot of math and crazy diagrams to go by. I'm really bad at math and never done electrical work. I'm worried I'll start this job and not like it or be bad at it and then be jobless, which is why I'm thinking CDL while I'm still working.

slickWillie1980 Thanks this.
  6. slickWillie1980

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    Well I've been in the trade since 99. I started as an installer and worked my way up to service. I have no school room education for this. It's all OJT. Half of the stuff you will go over in school you can put it in the trash bin. Don't be worried about making mistakes if you go the HVAC route. Any company that hires you won't just throw you to the wolves. You will ride with someone for a while and when your ready they will cut you loose on your own. Currently I'm a federal employee and compared to the civilian world am underpaid. I would suggest not settle into just residential stuff. Once you gain some knowledge learn refrigeration, boilers, chillers,or controls. A good tech in those areas will see 30 an hour with a good company.
    Now not all residential companies are bad. For example....my nieghbor and I worked together in the late 90s. Hes still at the same company doing residential and pushing 28 an hour but he works for it. I'm happy where I'm at with a set schedule.
    Don't let the wiring diagrams or refrigeration theroy intimidate you. After some time it'll come second nature just like putting a shoe on.
    It's just my two cents but everybody is different.

Puppage Thanks this.
  7. kyle987

kyle987 Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Thanks for the info. The company I could work for is a small company that does commercial refrigeration. They work at the grocery store and restaurants.

slickWillie1980 Thanks this.
  8. slickWillie1980

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    That's a good path but set your sights higher. There is plenty of money to be made in the HVAC trade. Just soak the knowledge in and I guarantee you will be paid for it

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I almost took that route myself, when I was RIF'd out of the IT industry, early 90's. Almost wish I had. Then again, 20 years into trucking I'm making good money, better than what I would've topped out at, in HVAC. I dabbled in it, before trucking.

O/P, why get your CDL B and not an A, if you DO choose to go that route?!? The A 'trumps' the B, and pays a bit better if you get with the right gig.

I'm local, home daily, off weekends, hauling asphalt in tanks, and making .. um ... DANG good money, leave it at that. Took me a few years OTR to get this gig, but.. it happens!

Best of luck, guys!

Dan.S and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. kyle987

kyle987 Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Because I'm not sure I'd want to drive CDL A OTR and I have a dog that I can't get rid of. I was reading that if I do propane delivery for a 1 or 2 I could eventually get the A and get a local route delivering fuel since I will have hazmat and tanker experience. If I go the CDL route I'm going to talk to the school to decide if I should just get the A now or start with the B. The B takes 5 days, the A takes months which I don't have to spare right now. I'm really leaning toward the CDL over HVAC/refrigeration right now. I'm going to go work the refrigeration job before I quit my current job to get a better feel for it. Also, I have a bad knee and had surgery for it, my dad whos done HVAC for 30 years told me it would probably be too hard on my body.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    That's not a bad route to take, considering. Then again, you might qualify for a WIOA grant to go to school for your CDL A on the weekends at a local community college.

CFI has a school however, and they have a pet policy, and you are paid while in school, until you go solo. Not much, but something.

@F150Jim got his CDL B and drives buses for OSU... there's a lot you can do wtih a B, especially if you get the passenger endorsement.

Keep us posted, but if there's any way you could swing getting the A, I'd do it.

Bounce me any questions you may have; i'm following.

Be safe,
    Tomcat

Dan.S and SHOJim Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.