CDL for felon?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kelly and Justin Perdew, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Kelly and Justin Perdew

Kelly and Justin Perdew Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2021
    Hi, uh I've got a serious question for someone that can honestly tell me... If it's possible to get your CDL driver license being a felon even if you have one or two of the disqualified factors on your record, even though you have done the time for the charges and you are not that same person... That you have a wonderful life going for you and trying to make a living for yourself, spouse and kids... I really would like to have my CDL driver license it's the career I've always wanted and cause of my young naive attitude and thinking and the people I was around. But I paid for my crimes and did the time for it already and I have a wonderful loving caring understanding wife and our two girl's... My wife and our girls have been the best part of my life and I would like a chance to prove myself thanks please let me know if I would be able to have a chance to follow my dream of being a CDL driver thanks...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Lots of good folks 'round these parts know how much I love Western Express, but they might be able to help you out.

Who knows, you might actually prefer a G block lockdown compared to driving for Western Express.

Your criminal record? As long as you haven't trained in an Al Qaeda camp in Pakistan or Afghanistan, Western Express might be your hope.

@Chinatown can likely offer more employment options depending on where you will work from.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  4. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I drive for J Rayl, and they give folks with criminal records a second chance. My trainer did a little time in Huntsville for beating a guy up pretty bad in a bar fight. I was out on the road with him for two weeks and found him to be a thoughtful and kind guy, and would note that he was awarded a really nice leather jacket for being “Rookie of the Year” his first year with the company.

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    There are no felony restrictions in place that would keep ANYBODY with a criminal record from getting a CDL. As for getting a job, generally, this industry is felon friendly. Just be advised, there will be some carriers that will not hire you. I know a lot of drivers that have records.

6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I can’t say I know. I wonder if Oil Field or Flat Bedding might work out for you?

I do also wonder if you can get Hazmat? Or a TWIC card?

7. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Just curious why you'd associate flat bedding with felons.

650cat425, Opus, Badmon and 4 others Thank this.
  8. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I know whom should be commenting here whom is a wealth of knowledge here,

Oh @Chinatown !!!! Front and center good man, another one that needs your skills of hope.

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    @Kelly and Justin Perdew I might also add right now you are going to have to go through a school to get a CDL. I advise you do not go job hunting right now. Find a carrier that will finance your school. OR find a tech school that will. Many people have gone down this road. It is not difficult, but you must understand some job opportunities are closed to you right now. Put 100% of your energy into getting your CDL.

We can revisit this subject later. This is like climbing a ladder. One rung at a time! The first one is actually getting your CDL.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They look like felons. Joking!
    Years ago I drove for a flatbed outfit and 99% of the drivers were felons. The guy that owned the company also started Western Express.

TequilaSunrise, Opus, Badmon and 5 others Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location? Not your address, but state & nearest town/city. We need to know the hiring area you live in so we know which companies to recommend.
    ~
    Have you checked with the state about paying for cdl school?
    All states have programs to help people get a cdl and that includes felons.
    Be prepared for a hair follicle drug test.
    Are you allowed to travel to 48 states?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.