CDL or NO CDL

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by tmlonghorns, Jul 17, 2009.

1. 1laidbacktrucker

1laidbacktrucker Medium Load Member

May 3, 2009
    CHATTANOOGA TN

you will need a cdl

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    OOIDA and a bunch of other anti-trucker groups are pushing for harder and more stringent driver training. They are talking about 250 hours as a second seat driver before you can even take the CDL driving test. The CDL permit system will stay the same,, just going to a lot harder to get a CDL.

ATA is very much opposed to this. It will leave all the training on the companies.

Mark

4. Trooper One

Trooper One <strong>"Full Grown"</strong>

Feb 13, 2007
    NW, Connecticut
    CT would req that you have a CDL only based on the type of vehicle you are operating.

The exemption of personal use is that of FMSR's No DOT #'s, No Logs, etc etc etc .

If you operate a dump truck for personal use, you would need a "B". If attaching a 10K trailer you would need an "A"

5. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    OOIDA is an anti trucker group?

From what I see out on the road...Maybe it should be harder to get.

<<Now...There's an anti trucker group!>>

Something needs to change! There are so many unqualified drivers (steering wheel holders) out there that have no business in the cab of a truck and these companies that train just keep enticing idiots to leave their dead end job at Burger King so they can get a deadend job at (enter name of company here).

The industry is a mess for anyone that wants to drive a company truck these days.

I believe that these companies that focus on training and are making big bucks with their schools and underpaid trainee drivers have a vested intrest in getting rid of drivers that don't need the training anymore.

I think that could be a motivating factor in the tendency to trash peoples DAC reports as possibly a means to get them out and make room for more idiots to take their place and fill the schools and cheapassed driver jobs.

It's a theory that keeps bouncing around in my mind whenever I hear about some poor douchebag that can't get work because his DAC is trashed!

6. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    OOIDA is only out for small trucking companies. They don't support changes that would help the company driver.

OOIDA is apposed to pay by the hours, OBR's, and other things.

Look, they are for the independent and small truckers, that is their major support group.

Mark

7. tmlonghorns

tmlonghorns Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Gregory, MI

How about citing your source of information or your qualifications?

The IRS has already determined for me that what I do with my horses is not a business. So when I move horses it is not in the act of anything associated with commercial activity.

I don't want to get the CDL right now because I don't have the time. Plus, I am moving from Michigan to Ohio. I currently still reside in Michigan and Michigan CDL law requires that you do not have any plans of moving out of state when applying for the CDL. Plus, if I don't need one why would I go through the hassle of getting one?

8. Mike_MD

Mike_MD Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2009
    O-Zone
    Not true, if you sell horses, breed horses, show horses, train horses, or run any operation where the horses are a tax write off it's a business and is commerce.

IOW, if you move horses from one pasture to another for the business you need a CDL.

If you advertise your business while at the horse show it's business and requires a CDL and US DOT number as a private not for hire operation.

If you paid an entry fee for the show and could possibly win prize money it's commerce.

Even tax exempt not-for-profit organizations must have CDLs and US DOT numbers when applicable.

Be safe.

9. tmlonghorns

tmlonghorns Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Gregory, MI
    Mike,

I know every situation is different but in mine (and keep in mind this is my forum posting), the IRS has already established for me that this is not a business. I was audited and am no longer able to write any of this off.
    I have also talked to 5 Michigan Motor Carrier Officers today and they all indicated that in my situtation I do NOT need a CDL. I also do NOT need a USDOT #. I do have to roll through scales but I do not have to do a pre trip or post trip inspection (they all recommened it but it is NOT required) and I do NOT have to keep a log book. I must have "Private Carrier" or "Not for Hire" on the doors.
    This holds true even when I attend horse shows, where yes I pay an entrance fee and the odd occasion where prize $ is available. Keep in mind that unless you are an olympic caliber competitor, the prize $ won't hardly cover the cost of a hot dog and you will not be 1099 for it.

10. txviking

txviking <strong>Trucker Geek</strong>

Jul 18, 2009
    Florida
    Trooper One: If I have a CDL but am operating a non-commercial vehicle, how do I convince law enforcement along the way (weigh stations, state DOTs etc) that I am exempt from FMSR? I've already been hassled once regarding the absence of an IFTA sticker on my bobtail truck, and only won that argument after I politely asked to see the letter of the law. I fear not all scalemasters will be as cooperative.

11. txviking

txviking <strong>Trucker Geek</strong>

Jul 18, 2009
    Florida
    Also -- I cannot find any legislation relating to the words "Not for hire" on the doors. I've thought about doing it to make it clear I'm non-commercial, but is there any legal weight behind those words?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.