CDL or NO CDL

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by tmlonghorns, Jul 17, 2009.

1. tmlonghorns

tmlonghorns Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Gregory, MI
    I know. All is well. I wasn't offended and probably would have done the same thing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. troublemaker_racing

troublemaker_racing Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2009
    palm city florida
    The point you are missing is that your truck needs to be registered as a motorhome(RV) to slide by the rules.If you remember i just did this.

My insurance is less than 1k per year.
    i don't have to run thru the scales(but i do so they don't have to chase me down)

All i did to my truck to make it a florida legal RV was to install a fixed toilet with a holding tank,and sign an affidavid saying this is what i did to make it an RV.this is how most states do this.

I think you will have trouble with johnny law with the "according to the IRS i'm not a business thing".
    I would just tell mr lawman you don't recieve money for anything,not even a hotdog,did you not read the link i put up about the racers in florida?

4. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Air-brakes? Isn't a CDL A required for them?

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    CDL B is the license for them.

luvtheroad Thanks this.
  6. troublemaker_racing

troublemaker_racing Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2009
    palm city florida
    not if it is a rv..............

7. tmlonghorns

Mar 12, 2009
    Gregory, MI
    Slow down and understand that everyone situation is going to be different.
    You need a CDL becasue you are engaged in a commercial activity. Although you get no money for driving the truck and the stuff is yours, you use it compete for $. There lies the difference. I did read your thread and honestly disagreed with you at first. But I listened and asked questions and I was wrong. This is how I know what I am talking about in MY situation.
    You can think I may run into issue with Johnny Lawman but I have consulted with the Michigan Motor Carrier Division of the Michigan State Police along with the USDOT. I will take their advice.
    Air brakes you get around my getting an F endorsement which among other things allows you to operate a vehicle equipped with air brakes.

8. tmlonghorns

Mar 12, 2009
    Gregory, MI
    CDL B is only for a single vehicle and not a combination vehicle. Has nothing to do with air brakes

9. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    some states have a special endorsement for airbrakes in non commercial vehicles. Not mine, but make sure to check on that. All we have in michigan is the R endorsement for double trailers for recreational use...

10. tmlonghorns

Mar 12, 2009
    Gregory, MI
    Show me the regs from one state that has an air brake endorsement requirement for someone who is not running under a CDL.
    I have checked and have not found a single state. That is why guys with RV's can run anywhere.
    Once it is established that you do need a CDL, all CDL requirments no longer apply.
    Exception is scales......MOST, not all, scales say vehicles or trucks over X tons must enter. In that case, yes you must enter. but if the sign says All commercial vehicles, then no, you do not have to enter.

11. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    They exist...in canada. Sorry, but I got that information from some people who apparently thought an R endorsement had something to do with air brakes. (it is for private double towing)

I remember one time when I pulled into a scale in wyoming. The DOT inside informed me that I only needed to enter a scale if there was a sign saying "All commercial vehicles must enter.", and that since i had already cleared a weigh station when i entered the state, i was clear until I left the state. I was like, WTF?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.