CDL Question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 18thSt, Dec 5, 2019.

1. 18thSt

18thSt Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Hello all from NY, I had a question about the need for CDL's.

If I have a veichle that has a GVWR of 40,000 pounds, and I use it for personal use ONLY, do I need a CDL to operate it? Some people say I do, some people say I dont.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Here in Ca you would need a non-commerical class B, add a trailer and it turns into a Non-Commerical Class A

4. tampadedicated

tampadedicated Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2017
    What kind is it, whats it use, and is it a single vehicle, or does it have a trailer?
    Typically any vehicle with a GVWR over 26,001 requires at minimum a CDL-B.
    The issue is that individual states have the ability to designate what classifies as a CDL required vehicle:

ALABAMA

CDL required for:

• (Class A) Articulated vehicles with trailer GVWR > 10,000 pounds and GCWR > 26,000 pounds.
    • (Class B) Straight truck GVWR > 26,000 pounds and no trailer or trailer < 10,000 pounds.
    • (Class C) Bus or vehicle < 26,000 GVWR and > 15 passengers or placard-required hazardous materials.
    • Notes: Endorsements are required for doubles/triples, some passenger transport < 15 passengers, tankers, hazardous materials, and combo hazmat/tanker.

CALIFORNIA

CDL required for:

• Vehicles with a GVWR > 26,000 pounds.
    • Vehicles designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 10 passengers (including driver) for hire.
    • Vehicles towing a vehicle or trailer with GVWR > 10,000 pounds.
    • Vehicles transporting hazardous materials requiring placards.
    • Vehicles towing two trailers or trailer and vehicle.
    • Notes: Recreational not-for-hire travel trailers > 10,000 pounds GVWR and fifth-wheels > 15,000 pounds GVWR require a non-commercial Class A, as do livestock trailers > 10,000 pounds but < 15,000 pounds GVWR operated within 150 miles of the (home) farm to transport livestock.

TEXAS

CDL required for:

• A single vehicle with a GVWR > 26,000 pounds.
    • A trailer with a GVWR of > 10,000 pounds if the GCWR is > 26,000 pounds.
    • A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons (including driver).
    • Any size vehicle which requires hazardous materials placards.
    • Notes: some tankers may require a CDL based on size, purpose and/or contents.

WISCONSIN

CDL required for:

• Vehicles > 26,000 pounds determined by highest of the following: manufacturer GVWR; manufacturer GCWR when the towed unit has a GVWR, registered or actual weight > 10,000 pounds; actual weight; registered weight.
    • Class A for any combination with a GVWR, actual or registered weight > 26,000 pounds provided the GVWR, actual or registered weight of the towed vehicle(s) is > 10,000 pounds.
    • Class B for any single vehicle with a GVWR, actual or registered weight > 26,000 pounds, or such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR, actual or registered weight of 10,000 pounds or less.
    • Class C for any single vehicle with a GVWR, actual or registered weight of 26,000 pounds or less, (or such vehicle towing a vehicle less than 10,000 pounds) transporting hazardous materials requiring placarding or designed to carry 16 or more persons (including driver).
    • Notes: If new to Wisconsin and you have CDL you must apply for new one within 30 days.
    • Vehicles designed or used to carry 16 or more persons (driver included).
    • Vehicles that carry hazardous materials that require placarding under federal law.

Heres a list of the states you can use:
    Federal and State CDL Requirements - Trucker Country

5. 18thSt

18thSt Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2019
    It is a old transit bus, i use it just for personal use (just driving it around for fun), and it has a trailer but its permanently connected to the front.

6. tampadedicated

tampadedicated Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Connected to the front? Id have to see what you mean. This is a 2 part answer for you:

DMV Route:
    I believe because of the weight, and it being previously classified as a passenger transporting vehicle with a GVWR over 26,001 it will require at minimum a CDL-B with Passenger endorsement
    In order to obtain an S endorse, you must also obtain a P endorsement.

Does it still have the seats in or have they been stripped out?

Even if you're not going to be transporting anyone but yourself, pretty sure you'll have to have those just because its registered on the VIN/Title as a passenger vehicle.
    If it has airbrakes then you need at minimum a CDL-B w/Airbrakes designation.

I do think you can go to the DMV and have it reclassified as an RV, and if you can do that, you can bypass the requirement for needing a CDL, you'd have to go there in person and have them inspect it for potential reclassification.

NON DMV Route:
    One way to bypass all that BS though most people don't even know about, is a Currency Exchange
    They do titles and licenses in most states. You can go through them and have the title changed and classified as an RV instead of going through the DMV red tape and ########.

Heres a forum with good help specific to it:
    School Bus Conversion Resources

Heres a NY Specific Thread:
    New York state laws - School Bus Conversion Resources

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Its big enough to be a CDL private vehicle but you need to carry the necessary jewelry. (Endorsements suited to the vehicle)

It will certainly be a non commercial. But because it's well over 26001 pounds you need the CDL B or A (If with trailer etc)

RV licensing is slightly different but the problems are the same. You will have some work ahead of you to get all the necessary items to be properly licensed for vehicle class and situation.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try registering it as an RV and you won't need a cdl.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.