CDL Restricted to Automatic Transmission

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by grusco, Apr 22, 2012.

1. RazorezME

RazorezME Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2015
    I think this primarily applies to military personnel, now that a lot of states are hopping on board with skills waivers for those that have been driving comparable vehicles for 24+ months. With the skills waivers, military members can apply through their state DMV and be given a CDL permit, they take the written test, and with certification documents (documentation that they are licensed on similar military vehicles), they are given a CDL with AT restriction. Of course, DOT medical cards are still required.
    If they want to remove the AT restriction, they just need to test out on a rig with MT.

2. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    In my experience, steering the truck is the easy part. Shifting an 18 speed properly while steering is the hard part. I think an auto restriction on a license is good. If you can't shift, stay off the road. Should apply to 4 wheelers as well.

3. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I took my CDL test in Texas with an auto three weeks ago and got an unrestricted license. I can drive a manual and the truck I am driving now is an 8LL but for it is worth tested with an auto and no restrictions.

4. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    A guy who worked for US Xpress told me that you can shift the automatics if you want to.......so I'm thinking if you're not a great driver it might be a good idea to get in an automatic and learn to get around corners , shifting, and whatever, then retake the test in a manual .

gillz107 Thanks this.
  5. ajsinhouston

ajsinhouston Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2016

Are there any schools that train and test you in an automatic?

6. freediverdude

freediverdude Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    My local Roadmaster has an automatic transmission program here, which I am going through right now. They told us the license will not be restricted. Although we did spend a few days shifting a manual so we somewhat know how to do it. But we will be testing in an automatic.

7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I think the driver of a certain fracking water company might have graduated from that school. He sort of knew how to shift a manual.

I made good money towing his tractor the last few miles to the fracking site up a steep dirt road, then hooking to the three axle water pump and taking it up to the site. Seems he didn't know what an interaxle differential lock was and thought flooring it up a 20% grade on a dirt road in low rpm's was a good idea.

The drive shaft thought differently. It embedded itself in the winch on the extended catwalk.

Made good money that day. They called me back for another recovery two weeks ago. Both drivers learned on automatic transmissions.

Wargames Thanks this.
  8. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    In mn, you test in a auto, your restricted to a auto...

Wargames Thanks this.
  9. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Why do you need a program, Its automaticly?

10. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    No, NONE, Oh, Wait, You want to make minimum wage? There might be some of dem dar auto maticly schools out there, you just need to practice in a motor home. Good Luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.