CDL Restricted to Automatic Transmission

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by grusco, Apr 22, 2012.

1. freediverdude

freediverdude Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    My whole class decided to go to the automatics. There was only 1 guy who was holding out and wanted to test on the manual, but they told him they had to have more than one person to train like that, so he gave in. They're telling us that within the next few years most of the big companies will be going to automatics. Werner is already mostly there, Stevens is getting 600 new autos as we speak. It's a matter of $ so it will happen, they get better gas mileage. So get ready guys.

2. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Not saying your wrong, but having the ability makes you a more marketable resource. Lots of small companies, o/o's and local gigs with manuals, and will remain so for plenty of years to come

Wargames and Lepton1 Thank this.
  3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    As long as you are willing to work for Werner et al forever, then being qualified to only drive an automatic is the way to go. Sounds to me your school is a newbie mill in the pockets of the mega carriers and trying to pressure the students to only learn automatics.

Did you get a discount to get your automatic only license?

Didn't think so.

Wargames Thanks this.
  4. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    manual, Money, Auto NO MUNEY, HA,Ha, HAAAAAAAAAAAA

lagbrosdetmi and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. minirack

minirack Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2016
    I know Pennsylvania and pretty sure South Carolina have that restriction. Would definitely switch schools. but as with anything else, it's all about the money for the big companies and politicians, stick it to the working man every time.

6. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I didn't read the whole posting, no need. In every state if you show up for your CDL with an automatic then that's all you're going to be allowed to drive. If you have a stick then you can drive all transmissions. Anyone says different tell them to read the fed book. You know the one that guides there daily life.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    So you get hired on at this small high dollar outfit. Boss points out to a sweet Pete in the yard. Grab 12 and take it over to blah blah. You head out to the truck and hop in and see 2 sticks. #### now what.

Wargames and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    YouTube and lots of prayer

Ryan423, okiedokie and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    I was trained driving manuel. Used to double cluth, now outlawing that rule with float shifting.

Wargames Thanks this.
  10. Diggler

Diggler Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Jax
    Who do you think is going to be buying those autos after 4 years at a mega carrier? Boys will be paying a lot more as time goes on for those manuals, just because of rarity.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.