CDL School and Manual Transmission Training

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Skytz33, May 14, 2018.

1. Skytz33

Skytz33 Bobtail Member

May 14, 2018
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I was told to make sure that the CDL school trains you for manual transmission trucks. That seems like a no brainer but given that some comapanies are going to automatic transmissions I was curious as to what you think.

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    take the manual training. if not then when you go for your DMV road test, with an automatic, your CDL gets stamp..."automatic only"

that GRAVELY limits your work choices in the future.

you CANNOT guarantee every job you obtain will be in an automatic....

and please for God's sake, don;t believe the rhetoric that all companies are going automatic.

4. Skytz33

Skytz33 Bobtail Member

May 14, 2018
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    That’s what I thought and you just verified it. Thanks:))

x1Heavy and buddyd157 Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Take the test if at all possible in a manual truck at the State CDL, as previously posted by another your CDL will be stamped with a restriction against Manuals if you only test in a auto. Hiring on is bad enough without this problem you don't want.

School is just enough to learn to control that rig for the test. The real learning starts when you get out there. There is a awful lot of talk similar to a circus side show calling going on in those schools. Don't fall for it.

I kind of feel off today because people are worried that every one is going auto. Not while I am alive. Manuals have advantages as well. Remember a auto with manual mode in which you can pick and stay in gear for mountain work is very useful.

Skytz33 Thanks this.
  6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    You need to have every skill that sets you apart from all the other drivers. But having "automatic only" on your license, you go in less prepared for any opportunity that may arise.

Rctruck87 Thanks this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

A few hours training on manual transmissions during CDL school can save you weeks of effort later trying to get an Auto-only restriction off of your license. Truthfully, chances increase everyday that you get get your license and never drive a manual truck. But why would you volunteer to lock yourself out of some jobs, maybe a dream job, at the start?

People outside of this industry see shifting a manual transmission like it's brain surgery. They can train people to shift manual trucks while you have brain surgery. It's No Big Deal. CDL school typically spend an hour or two teaching it to you. You won't be perfect, you will wind up stopping in the road because you messed up. It's still no big deal.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.