CDL school or sign contract?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by GreenHusker, Oct 18, 2019.

1. BigpopperRunner

BigpopperRunner Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2019
    https://g.co/kgs/HM8kfH
    I think this link works lol, read the description, it says tanker experience preferred but will train. They have one in your city.

woo1008 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kingimade2

kingimade2 Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2020
    @ Chinatown, please which community college/CDL will you recommend in texas (Houston, Austin, Dallas) within the range of $1500 and $2200. I really prefer to pay my way. I also dont want to spend too long at such school. Your advice is really appreciated

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. kingimade2

Feb 15, 2020
    Thanks a lot, if i get you clearly, an automatic restriction on a CDL does not carry much a disadvantage for someone whho wants to only drive newer automatic trucks?

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Problem is that later if you want to get onto a local linehaul job, better pay, you need to be able to use a stick even if your assigned truck is automatic. And if you get an automatic restriction, you have to retake the road test, with a stick, to get it removed.

In other words, get all endorsements, no restrictions. Never know where you might need them.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    tscottme Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Austin Truck Driving School for CDL Training | Accepting ...
    https://www.communitytruckdrivingschool.com
    Austin Community College CDL Training Classes
    https://www.cdlcareernow.com/schools/austin-community-college
    Austin Community College CDL
    training classes and info including job placement, financial aid, cost, and course info like class a and b truck, tanker truck and passenger vehicle training.

7. BigpopperRunner

BigpopperRunner Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2019
    I agree, try to get your automatic restrictions off! If your with a company and your truck breaks down, they might not have another automatic available, they might only have manual and if you don’t know how to drive it your practically screwed.

8. kingimade2

Feb 15, 2020
    Thanks @Chinatown

Please I am also in consideration for a CDL School near Chicago, Joliet, Naperville in illinois. Also within the range of $1,500 and $2,200. Will appreciate your recommendation once more. Thanks

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Thought you moved to Texas?
    Here's the one I hear most about and has a good reputation.
    Truck Driving School | Illinois | Wisconsin | Indiana ...
    https://www.160drivingacademy.com
    “160 is the best cdl school to go they have great people working there and they don't give up on you if you don't get it by the end of 4 weeks I had a blast when I was there and now I have my cdl
    • CDL Training
      160 Driving Academy has schools in more than 25 locations across the USA, so you can …

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Many companies will reimburse the tuition back to you in monthly installments.
    Here's just one example of many:
    Benefits of TLX Flatbed Trucking Jobs Ohio
    www.tlxtransport.com/benefits-flatbed-trucking-jobs
    Tuition Reimbursement up to $7,500.00.
    TLX is the leader in flatbed trucking jobs Lorain Ohio. Get great benefits, weekends home and flexible routes. Our Lorain terminal has trucking job openings.
    upload_2020-2-23_10-0-33.jpeg .[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  11. Traveling

Traveling Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2019
    It doesn't carry any disadvantage if you are going to be driving automatic trucks. Chances are you will be driving an automatic, most companies order automatic semis only these days. New drivers start with mega companies like Schneider and such who order only automatic trucks since a couple of years ago. All manual transmission trucks I have been offered to drive by 2-3 companies were old trucks with severally deteriorating interiors.

I agree with Muskie about the long-term benefits, by gaining experience you can get a local job that pays better and may be a manual transmission truck. The thing is so many new drivers are in it for a year or two that they never get to qualify for better paying jobs where 2 years of min. experience is required.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.