CDL Study Guides

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by BIGLEFTYINTX, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Nahbrown

Nahbrown Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Illinois (the sane part)
    DMV Genie app was all we used to study for the permit tests

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lost_sole

lost_sole Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2023
    CDL prep! All I needed years ago. Phone exam practice. 1st test try and I had my CdL

4. waveform

waveform Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2014
    California
    Who wants study an entire course on their phone, give me a brake. Go ahead wreck your eyes kids.

The DMVs always provided the study guides, and that's all I've ever used and I always passed with high score. Everything is a joke today. This industry is getting like the computer industry. That is, now you have all these 3rd party company's selling course and material. I can understand if your new you should take a course or go to a school. But for us guys that are older, eyes are not so great and just need to renew. The study guilds from the DMV are all you need. But unfortunately for me the governor in my state can't seem to keep these in supply. California is pile of garbage on the map.

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    So if DMV’s “can’t” keep up with the “guilds”……(guide’s, check your auto-correct), how is one supposed to study? You’ll be surprised how far technology has come around and at your fingertips, I’m 61 and take advantage of it. I use TTR’s and DMV GENIE “Hazmat” practice test before I go to DMV to take my test before my renewal’s.

6. Todd727

Todd727 Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Some DMV's aren't even producing the books or online versions today. Others are charging for them.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  7. Mike2357

Mike2357 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2023
    My local driving school provided a study guide that I had to pay for. It has about 300 practice questions on each of the sub sections, like passengers, air brakes, combination vehicles, general knowledge, endorsements..etc, as well as the answers in a specific position, like choice B..etc, I don't know if that's because maybe they know how some of the tests are written, but I just try to memorize the facts and not whether they'll appear as choice A,B,C,D on the exams. Like for cargo checking just know it's the first 50 miles and every 150 after that..etc, don't worry about how the answers are arranged. Also study the major points in the manual. The real challenge is the vehicle pre-trip inspection. I watched an hour Long youtube video guide where the guy explained everything, he said you'll be given 1 of 3 forms, each for a separate section of the truck, but you don't know which one you're gonna get so you have to know the whole truck. And there's alot. Plenty of auto fails to, like checking the brakes in the wrong order, or forgetting to check under the cab for puddles, and not verbally telling your instructor to put his seat belt on when he gets in the cab next to you for the brakes test, even when stationary. The knowledge tests aren't that hard, but you do need at least an 80% to pass (normal driver license is 70). Hope this helps!

8. jesus1337

jesus1337 Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2023
  9. Todd727

Todd727 Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Get the CDL Prep and DMV Genie apps for your phone. Those will get you ready.

You don't need to do Hazmat until after you get your Class A.

10. Mike2357

Mike2357 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2023
    I personally would feel uncomfortable transporting hazmat stuff anyway. I prefer to just transport normal goods.

11. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    CDL Study Guides

Everything you need to be more than successful. Good luck and God Bless!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.