CDL Training Diary - NC Truck Driver Training School

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by darkmanNC, Sep 7, 2021.

1. darkmanNC

darkmanNC Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    Day 7 - Friday, September 17, 2021

All classroom tonight (as is every Friday). Tonight we went over defensive driving techniques and watched some videos on the Smith System. Interesting stuff. Not really much more to say about tonight!

Lonesome Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. darkmanNC

Apr 2, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    Day 8 - Saturday, September 18, 2021

Started the day driving with the instructor today. I felt I did a LOT better today and the instructor agreed. I was shifting a lot smoother and didn't miss many gears. What helped a lot I think was I finally found that sweet spot on the clutch. You really don't have to push the clutch very far. I was definitely pushing it in too far last week. Once I got comfortable with the clutch, shifting got a lot easier. Still some work and practice to do though, but I feel better about it.

Drove around for about and hour and 15 minutes or so. Through town, back country roads and the highway. Practiced some downshifting and started on some skip shifting as well.

I'm still pretty nervous driving around. I keep hoping that will fade so it will be a little more comfortable and enjoyable. Just focused on not killing myself or anyone else at the moment! I know I need to relax more, but that easier said than done! Have to remind myself that this is only the 2nd day of actual driving.

When we got back to the yard, it was back to the practice stations the rest of the day. I started out at the backing station again. Still struggling like crazy with that. I know what to do, but no matter what I do my brain and my body aren't working together to keep that trailer straight. Took me forever to get it backed in. When I tried my 2nd time, I went right in with no problems or even a pull up. What??? Then my 3rd time, it was back to having trouble. But only had to pull up a couple of times. Hopefully this whole thing will "click" soon. I'm getting discouraged by this backing stuff. It seems so simple and I get the concept of what I'm supposed to do, it's just putting it into action that's the problem.

Next I did some coupling. That's pretty easy I think. I just have to remember all the steps that they want us to do and in the proper order for the test. But I'm not worried about that one at all.

Went on the obstacle course for a few rounds. Not really any issues there. I'm getting better and better at that. For the testing, we have to complete the course in 5 minutes. So I need to work on that and start timing myself to see where I'm at. Obviously without hitting anything either!

That was about it for today, back at it bright and early tomorrow!

N00bLaLoosh and Lonesome Thank this.
  4. darkmanNC

Apr 2, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    Day 9 - Sunday, September 19, 2021

Today just sucked. No other way to put it. It was insanely hot outside. Our Sunday's are on the yard all day, 8am-7pm. Just rotating the stations all day, obstacle course, backing, coupling and pre-trip. Everyone was exhausted after a couple of hours because it was just so hot. A few just decided to go home early and use up their hours (we're allowed to miss 39 hours total). I stuck it out all day. I believe we ended the day with 5 or 6 students (out of 10) left.

Not much to add. I'm getting better at each thing. It was just hard to keep my head in it today because I was just too hot and too tired. Was more than ready to call it a day and go home.

Thanks again for following along. We'll see what next weekend holds!

ChrisL, N00bLaLoosh and Lonesome Thank this.
  5. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Wow, same school I went to 3.5 years ago. I wonder if same of the same “characters in “instructors are still working there when I went there. It’s a good school to get you started. They don’t play games, you either learn the stuff or you’re out. Less than half of our class finished when I went.

I kinda miss it, once in a lifetime experience. The old instructors were all characters there, but made sure you knew what you were doing.

darkmanNC Thanks this.
  6. darkmanNC

Apr 2, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    Probably is the same instructors. I think they've all been there for a while. You aren't lying when you say they don't play games. They are not messing around. Already had one kicked out of class one night because he wasn't following the rules. They are strict, but fair. Which is all you can ask for. I think if I can survive it all I'll definitely be a better driver because of it.

tonyb1234 Thanks this.
  7. Lennythedriver

Feb 14, 2020
    If you don’t screw off (not saying you’re that type, you seem serious) show you’re trying, gage a good attitude and don’t bring your phone into Class you’ll do fine. If you’re just completely incompetent at maneuvering the truck then you wouldn’t make it either. On the very first day of class the instructor walked around kind of in an intimidating way.. He was being funny but serious. He told everyone more that half of you won’t be here on the last day.

Most of them are good instructors, there was one that was a total ##*, the others want you to pass.

8. darkmanNC

Apr 2, 2013
    Sanford, NC

Haha, yeah. The one that got booted out of class last Friday was because of his phone. Instructor walked out of class for a moment and he immediately pulled out his phone. Instructor came back and he didn't put it away fast enough. He just said, "You can pack up and go home now." This was his second time having his phone out. People just don't know how to follow simple rules.

We got the same speech our first night. Must be the same instructor! I'll feel a lot better once I get the hang of backing this old trailer up for the straight back! Man what a pain in the ###! Everything else I feel like I'm doing pretty good at so far.

N00bLaLoosh and Lonesome Thank this.
  9. jtc3495

jtc3495 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2021
    It sounds like you are getting real good training and time behind the wheel. I just finished up school about a week ago. At our school we did not get in road time in like you are getting. We had too many students for the amount of trucks available, and only would get about 20 minutes of driving in a session.
    Good luck with the rest of your school.

darkmanNC Thanks this.
  10. Lennythedriver

Feb 14, 2020
    The guy that was there when I was there had one of those curly mustaches and baritone voice. Classic ole retired trucker. Now he comes across as super strict and mean old dude, but he’s actually really cool. He will nail you on the clock, blind side backing if you lose the mirror. That guy Will be like a half a mile all the way across the other side of the yard turn around and point at you to take a point because you lost the mirror. Haha He called the clock “the Jesus clock” even if it’s wrong it’s still right and that’s what we go by. He would stand by the door slam it shut and lock it right when the break time was over her class was to begin. I was never late. Other students almost got kicked out for being late so many times back from the breaks. Lol but get in with him, chat with him during lunch etc, if he’s cool with you, you’re golden. Lol

I don’t know if they use the same trailer for the straight line backing where you do the jackknife turn at the end? Maybe you’re not that far along yet, but that trailer is defective and it does not hold a straight line. Lol I think they set it up that way on purpose. It’ll drive you crazy but you’ll get the hang of it.

darkmanNC Thanks this.
  11. darkmanNC

Apr 2, 2013
    Sanford, NC

I KNEW IT!!! I've been saying to others that I think they have that trailer jacked up on purpose! HAHA!

N00bLaLoosh and Numb Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.