CDL training? Stevens, PAM, or CRST?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by RookieHawkFlorida, Dec 5, 2018.

1. RookieHawkFlorida

RookieHawkFlorida Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2018
    The length of training with a trainer the longer the better, the amount of students in my class, all those things matter. My options are with Stevens school in Tampa, PAM school in Lakeland, or CRST school in Jacksonville. I'm leaning towards Steven or PAM. I know these are starter companies. Im aware the pay is low. I'm just looking to make the best out of wherever I go and get some experience. @Chinatown which would be better pick in your opinion. Quality of training and pay after training. What's your pick? Again these are my options. Thank you to all who respond. I appreciate your input

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I have no experience with any of those three, but from what Ive read on here, I'd go with Stevens -

Good Luck !

Puppage and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    stevens appears to have better equipment and longer runs from what i kno, longer runs will get you thru your first year faster with less hassle overall in my opinion, it may be reefer but if your doing longer runs and dealing with less customers it offsets that, maybe a stevens driver can tell you better what kind of runs they do. crst appears to be the biggest pile of crap company from the trucks ive seen and drivers ive talked to. pam doesnt seem much better, ive met a few stevens drivers and other than maybe the lower pay they didnt seem to complain much.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd go with Stevens also.
    Steven's has excellent equipment and training.
    Get that reefer experience with Stevens, then after your contract is complete, you'll be qualified for a company such as Lessors Inc. in Florida.
    upload_2018-12-5_17-46-53.jpeg [​IMG]
    Lessors, Inc. operates Freightliner Cascadias, Kenworth T680s and Peterbuilt 579s tractors currently on a 3 year trade cycle. Tractors are equipped with Tri-Pak APUs, 1800 watt inverters, EZ Pass and Qualcomm with GPS. Our temperature control division pulls 53’ air ride trailers with Carrier and Thermo King reefer units and our current trade cycle on trailers is 4 years.

austinmike Thanks this.
  6. bradyr693

bradyr693 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2018
    If you are choosing these companies because you can't pay for schooling, hate to be blunt about it like that but school is very expensive. Go to your local Unemployment Office and ask about a program that will pay for your schooling in full. There are requirements like if you have made to much money this year they won't help you.

P.A.M isn't that great. My partner actually was with them and did school with Future Truckers of America. They did him terrible and would leave him spots where there was no food places around and would leave him sitting at yards. He was solo for about 3 weeks until he could get a co-driver! Straight out of school going solo was a disaster but made him a very, very good driver. Also; the pay is very inconsistent. His last paycheck was 141.53 and that was the last straw
    Might be different for you though but would hate for someone to go through what he did.

SilverBulletBand Thanks this.
  7. RookieHawkFlorida

Dec 5, 2018
    These are my options I did write that

8. RookieHawkFlorida

Dec 5, 2018
    @Chinatown thank you so much for your expertise. It was close between Pam and Stevens.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Metallica88

Metallica88 Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    I'd go with Stevens if I was in your shoes.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Jddjunior - this thread is by another Florida driver.

11. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Look at Millis. One of the better training programs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.