CDS Tractor Trailer Training, Virginia

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Maxxdad, Sep 25, 2010.

1. f11fan09

f11fan09 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Gretna, VA
    didn't get hotel, i drove hour and half to roanoke each day from my house

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lefty1

Lefty1 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Thanks everyone for all your posts on CDS school in Woodford, VA. of which I plan on attending as soon as I heal from a recent minor surgery. There are not to many reviews of the school out there but the ones that are seem very positive. The pre hire stories and many companies that hire from there are GREAT to hear. I will keep you all posted and LOOK FORWARD to hearing as much about your experiences as possible! Good luck, Thomas

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. makbainghost

makbainghost Light Load Member

May 13, 2014
    Gloucester, va
    I graduated from this school. To be honest it was meh they pushed us out as fast as they could since the class that came in after us was so large. Also seem like the trainers were there because they either had to many points on there record or DAC report. They didn't teach us hardly any backing maybe thats why out of class of fifteen ten failed twice. As it comes to poor business practices we had a mentally ill guy they allowed to attend even though they knew he wouldn't be hired by anyone because of his mental illness. A quick review of the trainers. Jeff seemed like a knowledgeable good guy to bad he let his cdl elapse so he could takes us out. Pops another ok guy to bad he was a shining example of old truckers bad habits and srupid things not to do doing a 45 in high reverse going 100 mph down I95 for example. The marine trainer was rude just a real $$$hole for no reason never heard of constructive criticism. Billy was the best of the group. The last guy don't remember his name because he was physically there but never there mentally.

Chinatown and Lefty1 Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Saw your other post; do you need a job or did you decide trucking isn't for you?

6. makbainghost

May 13, 2014
    Gloucester, va
    I am doing local driving now wife broke her leg b truck I make 18 hr plus free benefits plus time in a half plus I am home every day. So for now no but I am looking.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you don't have all the endorsements yet, this is a good time to get them while you're local. Get the TWIC also. There are 7 tanker/hazmat companies that hire new CDL grads, so I'm sure they will hire you. You will make some good money for your family, $55K-$65K per year.Here's a list of them if you're interested. Ignore any "experience required" because the websites may not be up to date.

Schneider Bulk
    Superior Carriers
    Tidewater Transit
    Airgas
    CTL Transportation
    SVTN
    Trimac

8. makbainghost

May 13, 2014
    Gloucester, va
    I got all my endorsement but P and twic card and passport.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good planning on your part; you will be good to go when you think the time is right. Running that B-truck, Schneider will probably give you a refresher if you've been away from Class-A for too many months. Each company has their own policy.

Well it's 10:25 pm where I am right now, so I'm going for some sleep. I'm sitting in my condo in the Orient just kicked back. Take care.

10. Lefty1

Lefty1 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Fredericksburg, VA
    CDS school in Woodford, Va. YEA? or NAY? Im leaning toward YEA but a few mixed reviews have me doubting it. Still looking for a lil more assurance before I jump in!
    Thanks to everyone for your help and look forward to the future!!!
    SquidLips

11. makbainghost

May 13, 2014
    Gloucester, va
    It will teach you the bare basic you will never do the Virginia curve also the didn't teach us 90s
    . Its funny I driven a B truck for 7 years fully loaded I have had 50k pound loads but swift and other companies do not care because no trailer involved I know backing is what will make or break a driver but it still a massive vehicle that needs to be double clutched and drive with care.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.