Celadon As A Whole For An Experienced Driver

Discussion in 'Celadon' started by BillJ72, Dec 10, 2008.

1. BillJ72

BillJ72 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    refusing canada, does tha thurt you for good runs or any other good things from the company. Also how long has he been there now? It seems the trend is after 3 or 4 months the miles tend to dwindle down from 3000 about down to 1500 or 2000 is that correct?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Refusing Canada doesn't hurt you as far as miles go. My hubby has actually relayed some Canadian loads before.

He has been there since early March of this year, so 9 months. His miles have gone up and down the whole time. The last month it's been a bit of a pain, but his truck has had some issues which has contributed to that.

I would say (without digging out the calculator and doing the math) that he probably averages 2,300 to 2,500 most of the time. I haven't completed the spreadsheet of his miles yet to figure out his actual average. When he takes hometime his miles are usually affected a bit because he's home for 3 days or a little over.

4. BillJ72

BillJ72 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    Lilbit
    I hope I get 2300 or 2500 if I get 2500 a week then I don't loose any pay from old job breakeven

5. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Their vacation deal is pretty sweet too. Every 30,000 miles you get a week vacation paid at $1,000. The first 30,000 you only get the money though, but every 30K after that it's a week off.

As you well know, your DM is the key.

6. betterroad

betterroad Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2008
    oklahoma
    you should be able to bring in $1000 per week easy, for the first one to three months after that Good Luck. Actually talk to them about the area you live in. I think you live in the cigarette area, if you can get on that you should do well.

BillJ72 Thanks this.
  7. BillJ72

BillJ72 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    Can I at least make about 850 week gross after 3 months?

8. betterroad

betterroad Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2008
    oklahoma
    Honestly, no one can answer this. With celadon you just don't know. I have heard of some drivers that do wonderful with them, most do not. Kathy was my dm the first three months with them. I loved her, she kept me moving, and I was doing way better then my husband and son. However, when I finally got out the calculator I realized I was averaging less then 2000 miles per week. So then I teamed, we did awesome for about 6 months. Then we started seeing a lot of slow down periods. The month before we left celadon ( august 2008) they actually forced a solo driver to give us his run for no reason other then that they'd rather have a solo sitting then a team. They did that twice that month.
    I don't hate celadon, they didn't do us wrong, heck two weeks after we quit we received a little check for detention pay that we didn't even know they owed us. The people are very nice I don't think I ever had an argument with any of them. But bottom line, we just weren't making money any more. Good luck with making a decision.

BillJ72 Thanks this.
  9. BillJ72

BillJ72 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    Betterroad
    I was asking to ensure that I am making a sound decision on selecting this company, I feel that I am, but I also realize that all truck drivers and companies have corks and misfortunes. I just wanted to get some insight from some driver(s) that have been in the trenches sorta speak if you know what I mean, I have chatted with a few here or there and they have said pretty much you have and others have told me but you know we all have a slim amount of uncertainty inside so just trying to get conformation that this is the right choice.

Thanks
    For Your Help And Insight...Much Appreciated

10. Curious1

Curious1 Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Texas
    going to jump in here with my measley .02 worth..

I worked for Celadon for about 1 1/2 yrs. I was very HAPPY with them and really thought I had found the company I could stay with for many years..However, the miles began to drop. The trucks were turned down and the no idling stuff started. There was a feeling of things were different. Anyway, after some serious thinking on my part I left Celadon.

Something I would like to bring into this discussion because I have NOT seen it mentioned is what Celadon hauls..I can't give you a figure but I can tell you for a fact a LOT of their freight is car part related. Yes, they haul cigerettes, and other stuff but quite a bit is automaker freight.

As for having to go into Canada you do NOT have to and it will not hurt you. They have Canadian drivers and you can relay loads.

I hope some of this helps. Like Betterroad, I have NOTHING against Celadon just quit making the money there. The people were good to work for and treated the drivers ok. However, they did NOT have to pay the bills:biggrin_25525:

Lilbit and BillJ72 Thank this.
  11. Locdrjr

Locdrjr Light Load Member

May 19, 2008
    Eaton Rapids , MI
    well just received a notice by mail the Celadon did credit my bank account $60 for returning the air cuff lock the other night.... finally something between me and them worked right....

BillJ72 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.