Celadon Trucking Svc.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by NY Snowman, Aug 1, 2013.

1. NY Snowman

NY Snowman Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2013
    I never expected them to pay for the cost of a flight home. I asked them to at least HELP in advancing at least a partial cost of a plane ticket to New York. That's a big difference.
    Keep in mind I had also been stuck in a motel room for a week and had made the company aware of the situation at home. Had they acted when I first informed them, I would have been put in another truck, given a load or routed back home and in all likelihood, I would still be driving for Celadon today. However, none of that happened. I was not making them any money by sitting in a motel room waiting for my truck to be worked on. When they found out how long it would have taken to repair all that was wrong with my truck, common sense should have taken over and they should have assigned me to another truck. That didn't happen until I picked up my old truck from the dealer and it broke down on the scales at the Pilot.
    As for what I found out on my DAC, I discovered this yesterday afternoon literally minutes after posting the original message here when I was talking to a recruiter from another company. I contacted Celdaon yesterday afternoon and was flatly told they weren't changing anything and that I should have thought twice before I decided to leave the company. REALLY????

On a final note, one thing I have seen here is alot of drivers defending companies for their questionable practices. While there are circumstances when the driver might have contributed to a bad situation, like it or not, not all threads posted here fall into that category. Whether we want to admit it or not, there are companies out there who will and do take advantage of drivers any way they possibly can. Whether it's SRT not assisting with the death of one of their drivers in one of their trucks hauling one of their loads, or it's Celadon who put me in the position I was in and then have taken the steps they've taken to pay me back for not staying with them, there are carriers out there who ARE considered monsters by the drivers they have taken advantage of.
    These carriers know most of us can't afford lawyers to fight the things they put on our DAC and they take advantage of that fact. They also know that even if we are able to afford such services, it can take a lengthy process to get inaccurate or false information removed from your DAC. These big companies won't bat an eye doing this to drivers. In the end, it's worth it to them to make their former employees pay for not staying with them.
    So yes, there are carriers out there that deserve the title of Monster. If my original post was read in it's entirity, everyone would see I did not take posting my situation with this company lightly. And even after I did, I never proceeded to badmouth or slander or slur the company. I simply stated the facts to inform those of my personal experience with this company. How you take what I posted and what influence it makes I have no control over. I simply don't want to see any other driver be put into the same situation I was put in.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Atlas117

Atlas117 Bobtail Member

May 20, 2013
    I meant no offense... and like I said, adding equipment abandonment to your DAC sounds insane. As some others have suggested, you don't need a lawyer to dispute it and add comments. You have your opinions, they're not going to change, and that's perfectly valid. But the thing I can't get over is the idea of responsibility - if you made a deal with Celadon to drive the truck and get paid $.xx per mile, where did this expectation come from? Did anyone ever tell you "in the event of a family member's death, we will advance you the cost of a plane ticket"? If it was never part of the deal, I don't understand why you think the company has a responsibility to provide it. It may not be "nice" on the part of the company, but at the end of the day it's a business deal - doesn't sound to me like the company broke any promise on their end with respect to getting you home. Just to reiterate, your training experience and DAC are a different story though...

4. NY Snowman

Aug 1, 2013
    Their responsibility to provide anything? No, you're right, it's not their responsibility. But is it the decent thing to do in the light of the circumstances? Absolutely. Was I under a load at the time my father went into hospital? Nope. I was sitting in a motel room doing nothing, including making money for this company. I asked them to assign me another truck and route me home in case things didn't turn out good. They refused until after my father had already died. If they had done what I asked them to do originally, I would have been making them money and most likely would have made it home to say goodbye to my father.

It's obvious we have a difference of opinion on this issue. But, as long as we, as drivers, continue to allow this type of behavior from the carriers who employ us, there really is no point in having a site like this. Every single carrier out there today is represented in this section of the forums for one issue or another. Do you really think they care that this forum exists? They are loving the fact that we, as drivers can't even agree on what's right or wrong. As long as we continue to fight with eachother, don't expect the carriers to take us seriously. They know they will always be able to fill their seats with a body as long as we continue to disagree.

I've spoken my peace regarding this carrier and the problems I had and am now encountering. I realize with what they've done to my DAC the chances of me driving again are slim to none. I will press on and find another career and start over. I just hope noone else encounters what I have.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  5. dgarricksr

dgarricksr Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2011
    poughkeepsie, ny
    The first thing you need to do is call hireright and file a dispute and state your side of the story. After that someone will be assigned to your case and celadon will have 30 days to respond to your challenge. Neverless celadon will stand their ground but your challenge is still noted. Now, where in ny are you? I ask because their are companies in ny and through ny that may hire you regardless of what your dac says.

6. NY Snowman

Aug 1, 2013
    I am an hour north of Albany. I have applied to many local companies and no luck. Golub, Hannaford, and many others. I wasn't aware of the abandonment until just a couple days ago. I was just given the excuse that the companies I was applying to weren't allowed to hire me because of insurance guidelines. It was a national carrier that informed me exactly what was on my DAC.
    It makes no sense because I have the signed receipt from the terminal manager in Carlisle showing I turned in all of the equipment assigned to me in good to excellent condition. They are saying because the tractor came from Laredo, I needed to return it to that terminal, yet they had a plane ticket waiting for me in Carlisle to fly down and pick up my old truck. They are refusing to discuss it any further with me now as well.
    To say it's discouraging is an understatement. I'm 47 years old and am now going to have to try and start over again. With the economy what it is and jobs at a premium, I have no idea what I'll be doing now to support my family.

7. dgarricksr

dgarricksr Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2011
    poughkeepsie, ny
    Which is why you need to call hireright and file a dispute. You can fax them the receipt as well. Your assigned to the truck your in not the one you left in Laredo. I work for Hogan in coxsackie and they are looking for local drivers as well as they are looking for dedicated dollar general acct drivers out of Zanesville ohio. Don't know anything about dollar general but I run the save a lot acct and any questions ask away....

NY Snowman Thanks this.
  8. jit4747

jit4747 Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2012
    ohio
    I have a few questions..im thinking on driving for hogan zanesville dg account..they want me to start orientation on next monday...could you give me some ideas on what to expect with hogan..money,miles,equipment,auto or standard transmission, orientation?

9. nightwatch

nightwatch Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2013
    wa
    So, here's my question. I'm sure companies know that facts on DAC could be false. They must know, because many of them do put lies on that report, so naturally they know that other guys do the same trick. It's also known that if an employee leaves his employer willingly and that named employer would rather have the worker stay, it's not rare at all to give bad recommendations and bend facts.
    With all that how can DAC have any weight in the eyes of potential employer? That truly is like a new girlfriend calling your old girlfriend or better yet divorced wife and ask exes opinion on your overall performance and personality.
    There is driving record and if someone really wants to see if particular person is steady and responsible, there are factors like number of jobs within 5 years, credit report and so on.

10. nightwatch

nightwatch Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2013
    wa
    Celadon or not, everyone sits in Laredo. The only outbound loads are coming cross the border.
    As for Celadon, I've talked to them a few years ago and they didn't sound convincing. The recruiter-chick made zero effort to make her lies believable. Later I've met one of their new drivers, just by chance at some truck stop and that gave me close to complete picture of Celadon as an employer. That driver was just coming back from being banned for 3 years for reckless driving and he was completely nuts! I mean, either he was that way before his career gap or that 3 year struggle broke him down, but he was shacking, his speech was rushed and phrases broken ..as if he was on drugs. That was his first month with Celadon, so they saw him, he went through their selection process and was hired anyway. Celadon really should be quiet about standards, behavior and other things. They put psychos into an 80k lbs moving house and release them into the wild.
    I never drove for them nor will I ever, but I do believe in what is said about them. From what I've seen...stay clear!

11. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    My only question for NY Snowman, if you have 10 yrs driving experience, why would you choose to work for Celedon. Surely you were aware of their reputation. I've only got 4 yrs experience and I know that Celedon has a reputation for treating drivers like cattle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.